Do Music Videos Change Your Outlook

PSYCHOcatholic

We have digital pay tv (cable) and we get MusicMax, Channel [v], VH1 and CMC. I wish we got MTV, but it isn't included in the package thing we have. VH1 plays 'classic' tunes everyday for an hour between 5 and 6pm, so if I tune in to watch music vids, its then.

MusicMax is good because they do countdowns like 'Top 100 Albums of All Time' or 'Top 100 Hair Band Songs' and you can vote. Tis worth watching those because you get to see lots of good clips with the Beatles, David Bowie, The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Bob Dylan, etc. They play a good mix of new and old, like the Doors followed by Franz Ferdinand followed by AC/DC, etc.

Channel [v] is mostly new music and I don't watch it because most new music is crap. It is full of poser presenters who think they're cool.

But music videos have little or no impact on how I view a song. I admit that seeing the video for 'Wake Me Up When September Ends' is a little distressing and hard to watch, but it still hasn't changed how I feel about the song.

Sometimes videos can make you pay attention more to the songs, but then sometimes I'll see a video and I'll love the video, but I don't actually like the music to it.

I love the white stripes video with the girl in ballet slipper-heels going down stairs.

We only have C4, a music channel from 4oclock onwards and it mainly plays pop music videos and then all the mtv celebrity shows and things. There is juice tv, another music channel, but the reception is really bad for that at my house, so I pretty much never watch it.

I recently saw an old music video for Sabbath Bloody Sabbath. It was kind of weird. It was Ozzy and the gang in some forest, and it seems the band and whoever was doing the camera were stoned. It's just a ton of random shots, and it kind of ruins the song for me. I still like the song, but when I used to hear it, it gave me really dark imagery. Imagery of blood, and darkness, and fire. This had imagery of a dog eating a flower in a lightly lit forest.