A leader speaks, that leader dies

You don't have to follow me

Only you can set you free

You gave me fortune

You gave me fame

You me power in your God's name

I'm every person you need to be

I'm the Cult of Personality

The first quote is from Malcolm X, from his "Message To The Grass-Roots" speech in 1963. I'm by no means an expert on this (or him), but I believe the point of it was to unify African-Americans - "You're all oppressed because of the same thing - race, not religion, politics or anything else". That's obviously a paraphrase.

Anyway, here's the quote at the beginning of the song. It was edited a little bit for the song:

"And in the few moments we have left, we want to talk right down to earth in a language that everybody here can easily understand"

The ending quote is JFK's famous "Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country". This is from his inaugural address in 1961.

I guess the significance of the quotes for this particular song is that both were from men who were assassinated. Most of the song actually seems to be denouncing idolatry, but there is the one stanza containing the line "A leader speaks, a leader dies".

They also seem to make no distinction between "good" and "evil", as each time they mention a "hero" they pair them with an "enemy" - Mussolini and Kennedy, and Stalin and Gandhi.

Hope this helps!

Intelligent conversation? Bless his heart...daslied must not have wandered into the Fun & Games forum yet. :laughing:

Please tell me about your user name. Whenever I look at it quickly, I see daisies. I'm under the impression that you are a guy, so I don't suppose you want me to associate you with a fragrant bouquet of fresh flowers. Or maybe you do...who am I to judge?

Well, I did say "some" intelligent conversations...

"Das lied" is German for "the song". My favorite composer ever (told you I was a snob) is Gustav Mahler, and one of his pieces is called "Das Lied Von Der Erde", which means "Song Of The Earth". It's actually really his 9th symphony, but he changed the title to avoid the "curse" - Beethoven and a few others died after writing their 9th symphonies, and Mahler was pretty obsessed with death. So, anyway, he wrote this lived and later wrote his actual 9th symphony. He still lived, and started his 10th symphony. And guess what? He died midway through. So he was on to something, I suppose....

Anyhoo, my favorite piece of his, and the greatest piece of music ever written, is the 8th symphony. It's called "Symphony Of A Thousand" because it takes that many people to perform as originally envisioned (double orchestra, double choirs and a boys' choir). But "Symphony" or "Thousand" aren't good screen names, so I chose "Das Lied".

How's that for a rambling answer? And thanks for asking, because I detest flowers.