Is this something "Queen" would do?

A few years back, when I was "discovering" the Oldies. I was hooking some groups up (i.e. "Temptations and Supremes", "Jerry Butler and Betty Everett", etc.), this was 1 or 2 years later, but anyway, I was listening to DMX, and I needed a pairing with the Jefferson Airplane, and luckily, I turned on the DMX and there was a song: "Somebody to Love" by Queen. And, I first thought this was the same song, but it was not. However, I still think that Queen would have rocked if they had done the original "Somebody to Love". Do any of you guys have any input about this?

Brandon8528

Oaky, guys. Here is what I meant:

Both groups had a song: "Somebody to Love". When I was pairing the groups up, I turned on the DMX and then I first saw and heard Queen's "Somebody to Love". No, sorry, I saw the song on one of their cds, so that is when I thought it was the same song, but it was not. Anyway, the question I am asking is this:

In music terms, would "Somebody to Love" be something Queen would do? So, once again, if people do not even know what I mean-what I am trying to ask is this: "MUSICALLY" would "Somebody to Love" be something Queen would do? Simple as that. Hope that helps.

Brandon8528

In music terms, would "Somebody to Love" be something Queen would do? So, once again, if people do not even know what I mean-what I am trying to ask is this: "MUSICALLY" would "Somebody to Love" be something Queen would do? Simple as that. Hope that helps.

Brandon8528

Yes - to your question. To my ears and opinion, "Somebody To Love" could be in ways "Bohemian Rhapsody Part 2."

First off, STL is on the album that followed "A Night at the Opera" (for which you'll find 'Bohemian Rhapsody'). Second off, when 'BR' became such a monster hit, either the band and/or record company wanted another in a similar fashion.

Anyway, even though they are 2 different tunes, both are approached (structured wise) in the same matter.

:guitar:

Ant

I was quite surprised when I found out "Crazy Little Thing Called Love" was by Queen. Years later, after listening to a lot of their stuff, I've come to realize that Queen was capable of sounding like a lot of different bands, and they were surprisingly good at it. From "Another One Bites The Dust" to "You're My Best Friend" to "We Are The Champions," they were always making a new kind of noise. All 4 members wrote songs in completely different styles - and this was encouraged. If more companies managed their employees that way, imagine the creative ideas that would flow through the corporate world.

Anyway, I think "Somebody To Love" does sound like a Queen song, but I totally dig your point.

Queen did songs that honored or made light of things. They wrote "Crazy Little Thing Called Love" to honor Elvis, they thought it would be something he would write, and in the music video they all wore leather jackets from the 50's. I dont know why anybody would want to write a song like Elvis, but they did. Oh well, Queen Rocks anyway.

Thanks for your answer. But, I guess when I read this thread I was not specific as I thought I was. Okay.

Both groups had recorded: "Somebody to Love", which are 2 different songs. But, the question is: would "Somebody to Love" (The Jefferson Airplane version) be something Queen would do, and vice versa, would the Queen version be something the Jefferson Airplane would do (imagine "Bohemian Rhapsody")? And, think music and structure terms.

So, I hope this is more clear.

Brandon8528