Only love can break your heart - St Etienne

Foxy

Could it be Neil Young´s song? I know The Corrs made a cover of it... I post the lyrics just in case...

Only Love Can Break Your Heart

When you were young and on your own

How did it feel to be alone

I was always thinking of games that I was playing

Tryin' to make best of my time

But only love can break your heart

Try to be sure right from the start

Yes, only love can break your heart

What if your world should fall apart

I have a friend I've never seen

He hides his head inside a dream

Someone should call him and see can come out

Try to lose the down that he's found

I have a friend I've never seen

He hides his head inside a dream

fall apart

There was a great song by Gene Pitney with that line and title. "Only love can break a heart, only love can mend it again". I'm sure it was written by Burt Bacharach and Hal David. Perhaps it was covered by a female singer.

Here are the lyrics:

Only love can break a heart only love can mend it again

(whistling and instrumental)

Last night I hurt you but darlin' remember this

Only love can break a heart only love can mend it again, hmm, hmm

You know I'm sorry, I'll prove it with just one kiss

Only love can break a heart only love can mend it agai-ai-ain

Give me a chance to make up for the harm I've done

Try to forgive me and let's keep the two of us one.

Please let me hold you and love you for always and always

Only love can break a heart only love can mend it agai-ai-ain

Only love can break a heart only love can mend—it--again

(whistling and instrumental)

Hope this helps.

Wow...that St.Etienne version blew chunks :(.....I'm sure I've heard a Carole King version once upon a time....can anyone remember her doing a version? It might have been as part of a medely with 'So Far Away'...one of the best broken hearted longing songs of all time IMHO

Sorry Foxy...no reflection on you, but it (the St.Etienne version) represents a sad decline in music (IMHO) where 'classic' songs are given a soulless electrobeat backing with someone warbling over it without any integrity....mind you, at least they didn't R&B it up and give every other word a 4 octave vibrato warble ...'only luuu...uuu...uuuu...aaaa....oooo..aaa...ooove can brea....eeeeaaaa....aaaahhh...ahaak your heaaaaaaa....aaaaa....rrrr..aaaa....tttt....etc'.

Caught me on a bad day really.....still think you are brill... :coolio:

I do have pretty wide tastes I guess, but most Songfactors do, apart from a few who seem to be slightly blinkered on the forum, maybe they are different in reality...I guess we're talking about music?

I'm not sure how to explain it, I like what I like, it doesn't have a genre, or a type, it just draws me to it. Just then I listened to "Drop The Pilot" by Joan Armatrading (pop/soul i guess?), and now "And The Bands Played On" by Saxon is playing (80's rock/metal), and next up is "Hazy Shade Of Winter" by The Bangles...

This stems into my life in general, I like conventional stuff, and then again I like some pretty freaky stuff....I've seen alot of things I'm not proud of saying I've seen/been involved in, and been through alot of experiences that people traditionally don't go through til later in life. I've had some really bad things happen as a woman, which I guess alot of other people on here have unfortunately been through. It all makes quite an understanding and sympathetic person, while sometimes quite thick-skinned, I'm really sensitive, and things upset me easily. Then again I'm the most argumentative person you're likely to meet! Songfacts has seen the tame side of Foxy, and generally I'm quite feisty - I've curbed it alot for internet usage!! :laughing:

I do have lots of things I'm harsh about - racism, sexism, any kind of discrimination. I dislike rude, obnoxious people, or people that take cheap shots...

Wow...have I gone off-topic? :laughing: