Jesus Christ Superstar

RonJonSurfer

• 1 year later...

Holy cow, RonJon, I never knew there was an entire thread dedicated to this rock opera.

I once read a book called "Jesus Christ Superstar: From Broadway to Movie" or something like that. Wish I could remember the exact name. Anyway, it was all about how the thing was written, how they found the actors, how they adapted it for stage and screen, etc, etc.

Among some of the trivia that stayed in my brain after reading it, during the filming of the movie on location, it was so hot out each player was required to drink 5 gallons of water a day, and they burned it all off quickly. Also, they got high in their tents at night. :grin:

Ted Neeley met his wife there, she was one of the dancers.

I first saw the film when I was 11. Back in the days when HBO was first out, and they would show the movies over and over and over. I remember watching this one as often as it came on. Years later I saw a local stage production of it and, probably because I was so used to Ted's voice, I didn't like it as much. So in 1993 when Ted and Carl Anderson were traveling around with the "20th AD Tour" I stalked them. :grin: I think I saw about 7 of the shows in various places around Southern California. Dennis DeYoung from Styx was also in that cast.

Great memories!