Quiz October 2010

This month's quiz has extra prizes. :smile:

The top 3 entrants will receive a free CD and as always, 1 entrant will receive a cool and comfortable

SongFacts t-shirt. :coolio:

Here are the results for this month:

The quiz winner of the Songfacts cool and comfortable t-shirt this month plus a CD is:

John from Little Chute, WI :coolio:

The 2nd and 3rd place quiz winners of the remaining CD's are:

Joseph from Morgantown, WV

Billy from Leesburg, GA

Here are the answers:

1. What is the highest charting song in the U.S. with a year in its title?

"In the Year 2525" by Zager & Evans peaked at #1 in 1969.

"December, 1963 (Oh, What A Night)" by The 4 Seasons peaked at #1 in 1976.

"Candle In The Wind 1997" by Elton John peaked at #1 in 1997.

2. What popular Canadian band that formed in the '00s is led by a married couple?

Arcade Fire - Led by husband and wife team Win Butler and Regine Chassagne.

3. What famous singer was a dancer on a sketch comedy show in the '90s?

Jennifer Lopez - she was a "Fly Girl" dancer on the TV show, In Living Color.

4. What folk song about a brothel became a #1 U.S. hit in the '60s?

"The House Of The Rising Sun" by The Animals.

5. What rapper had his own children's TV show in 1991?

MC Hammer. He hosted and voiced a saturday morning cartoon show called Hammerman.

6. What male lead singer whose band had a U.S. #1 hit in the '80s appeared as a character on a few episodes of a popular TV show in the '90s?

Billy Vera of Billy Vera & The Beaters

He appeared in 4 episodes of Beverly Hills, 90210 as the character, Duke Weatherhill.

Roland Gift of Fine Young Cannibals

He appeared in 5 episodes of Highlander as the character Xavier St. Cloud.

7. What '80s U.S. Top-40 hit had a video that was paid for by a pen company in exchange for product placement?

"Turn Up The Radio" by Autograph.

The company was Paper Mate.

In the beginning of the video, the members of the band sign in with the pen. One member signs with an "X" and when it says "error", he erases the "X" and signs his name, thereby promoting the erasable pen by Paper Mate.

8. What U.S. Top-40 hit features the voice of a Major League Baseball Hall-of-Famer?

"Paradise By the Dashboard Light" by Meat Loaf features Phil Rizzuto as the baseball announcer.

9. Who is the only person to perform on a U.S #1 hit and also get elected to the United States congress?

Sonny Bono - "I Got You Babe" by Sonny & Cher.

10. What famous band released an album in 2010 named after a character on a TV show?

Weezer - Their album, Hurley is named after a character from the TV show, Lost.

Congratulations to all our winners and thanks to everyone who entered the quiz this month. :thumbsup:

Get on over to SongFacts main page to take the newest quiz. :headphones:

Nice quiz . . . and I know which one tripped me up (#1 . . . seems like you miss the obvious ones and get the tough ones).

And I've seen in past quiz results . . Joseph from WV has had several perfect scores. He'd have a whole closet of shirts if you didn't have the 6 month rule!

I just won the quiz in August, Brad. I had a different address then, might be why it wasn't caught. I think the t-Shirt should go to one of the other contestants

Thanks for mentioning that, Billy. I admire your honesty. The address change is the reason why it wasn't noticed.

I will change the post to reflect the correct prizes.

Brad,

...I know that Jon Bon Jovi made some appearances on "Ally McBeal".

And the question about the pen product placement . . . that must have been one that stumped people.

Jay,

Jon Bon Jovi doesn't meet the criteria for his 10 episodes of playing Victor Morrison on Ally McBeal because they were all in the year 2002.

Question #7 about the pen company was answered correctly by many entrants but there was also many who were stumped by it and left it blank or took a guess at it.

We were really going for Billy Vera on #6, but didn't realize there were other possible answers. In this age of Google, many of our questions are going to have a few possibilities, since straightforward questions like "What is Marilyn Manson's real name" are way too easy (not the case 15 years ago).

The phrasing is tricky, since we try to make the questions both accurate and clear. Brad does a great job with this.

By the way, this was quiz #106. The new one posted is #107. Must be some kind of record. :)