Palin finds unlikely admirer in John Mellencamp

Mike

NEW YORK – Former vice-presidential candidate Sarah Palin has found an admirer in John Mellencamp.

The legendary rocker says that while he doesn't support her positions, he is impressed by the mark she's made on the country since the 2008 election.

Mellencamp says people get the wrong idea about her intellect "just because she says things and winks."

He says she "knows exactly what's she doing" and "she wouldn't be where she is today if she didn't."

Mellencamp gives Palin credit for handling the rough world of politics. He says "she's pushing the right buttons" and "you can't be stupid and do that."

The 59-year-old rocker is no stranger to the political arena. He supported Barack Obama's campaign in 2008 and asked Palin's running mate, John McCain, to stop using his songs at rallies.

Copyright © 2010 The Associated Press.

He says "she's pushing the right buttons" and "you can't be stupid and do that."

That's not necessarily an admirable quality, though. "Pushing the right buttons" can still help lead to reckless actions.

And "stupid" isn't exactly the same as 'irresponsible' or 'ignorant'.

As far as Palin goes, I don't give a damn whether she's actually a moron or she's a genius playing a moron for votes. She glamorizes ignorance and anti-intellectualism and panders directly to people who are proud not to have the burden of an education and a curious mind.

I can't vote for a person like that. I don't care if her brain is a Stephen Hawking-Isaac Newton-Wolfgang Mozart turducken of sheer brilliance.