The Songfactors' Choice Top Ten #188

Lucky

I LOATHE Tubthumping. If you like it, that's awesome but to me it's one of the worst songs ever recorded.

Well, it's not one of the Chumbas best - there are several albums worth of better - but, in a world awash with shite music, I would doubt that it's "one of the worst songs ever recorded", either.

Quite apart from being personally acquainted with the members of the band, and recognising that "Tubthumping" is relatively insubstantial piffle, my fondness for the song is borne out of a knowledge of its context, and an appreciation of the strangely surreal and improbable phenomenon of such a band of pretty ordinary people - albeit a bunch of anarchist pranksters - scoring an international superhit.

I first saw Chumbawamba "live" in November 1983, and first encountered them "in person" in 1984, when I approached them to play at a fundraising gig for Leeds Polytechic CND group. When members of The Clash busked outside Leeds Uni in 1984, there were (some of) the Chumbas, sabotaging the event (chucking action men with fake blood around in protest at The Clash belonging to an international arms-manufacturer.)

I saw them again in '85, supporting anarcho-punk legends Flux Of Pink Indians. (Below the Chumbas on the bill that day were Icelandic avant-garde anarchos KUKL, fronted by one Bjork Gudmundsdottir.)

I got to know them better in the late 80s: Lou, (lead female vocalist on "Tubthumping"), worked as a mechanic at Mayday Auto Repairs, just round the corner from my house; she must have worked on my car several times- it was a bit of a scrap-heap. Alice Nutter (vocalist, but not the lead on "Tubthumping") wrote a review, for a Leeds alternative newspaper, of one of my band's early gigs, (supporting Rubella Ballet). Alice would later interview us for Maximum Rock'n'Roll (legendary monthly magazine), which was supposed to tie in with the release of our debut album, but the interview was never printed. I visited their squatted house in Armley a few times: not only for the MRR interview, but also, on one occasion, to ask permission to use their attic room to broadcast a pirate radio station for the dissemination of alternative music and radical politics. Dunstan (lead vocalist on Tubthumping), a pleasant friendly chap - even if he did fancy himself a bit- was a reasonably familiar face round our house in the late 80s, sharing my flat-mate's interest in the nascent "dance" culture of the time. My band did a couple of support gigs with Chumbas around 1990/91, through which I got to know all of them a bit better; and a nicer, more down-to-earth bunch of people you could scarcely hope to meet. An outcome of this developing friendship was that me and my band-mates (and our partners) were invited to the wedding reception of Mave (bass-player at the time) and Cobie (who had been their sound engineer for those gigs, and afterwhom my daughter is named, kind of). The reception was a 70s-themed party: I had the honour and privilege of witnessing Alice Nutter in stack-heels and hot-pants; a vision from which I have never quite recovered.

Late 80s / early 90s, Chumbawamba were one of the most entertaining bands on the UK's live music scene, yet scarcely getting any media coverage due to their unfashionably uncompromising anarchist politics.

Fast-forward to the later 90s. The dissolution of my own band and a change in lifestyle meant I began to lose touch with many of music-scene friends and associates. Chumbawamba, having scored a couple of minor Top 40 hits in the early part of the decade, appeared to have shot their bolt. Demos of their new material left One Little Indian label-boss Derek Birkett uneasy, and unconvinced these songs had any commercial potential, so the band were politely put to one side. A few months later, I'm browsing in a local gift-shop,and I hear, amidst the guff you normally hear on local radio, the unlikely but distinctive spectacle of Chumbawamba's new single.

By the end of the year, after fifteen years on the fringes of the wilderness, they have an international super-hit on their hands; they're being invited to Music Awards Dinners, they're the band chosen by Channel 4 to bring in the New Year...and I hear that Dallas Cowboys used their music to greet the team's entrance to the stadium (or somesuch.) When Leeds United recover from a 0-3 deficit to beat Derby County 4-3 with a late Bowyer goal, the entire stadium resonates to theChumbas tune. I even heard at one point that you could buy singing Chumbas Action figures, but I have no idea if this was true. If so, and anybody has one going spare: I'll give it a good home.

Most international super-hits are made by international super-groups, or by manufactured clone bands, pretty boys and girls, groomed for success with the full weight of corporate and MTV sponsorship behind them. This was far from the case where the Chumbas were concerned. Chumbas have done loads of really good music, pulled some pretty smart and entertaining stunts, and a laudible amount of campaigning and consciousness-raising in their time. But most of this happened when the domestic and international audience wasn't paying attention. I can happily turn a blind eye to the inadequacies of Tubthumping; the "Tubthumping" phenomenon is a sensational and improbable pop story. Just inconceivably wild. And I like that sort of thing.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's really cool to read stuff like that :)

excuse me for taking out the only fact not about Chumbawamba, but

Icelandic avant-garde anarchos KUKL, fronted by one Bjork Gudmundsdottir.

you mean she was in another band before the Sugarcubes? how old was she? 15? :shocked:

Very interesting read Mr. Fitter :bow:

I'm very unfamiliar with Chumbawamba's music but you sure made the group sound very interesting for me.

You should think about adding some of that stuff to the main site. If we find it extremely interesting I'm sure many others will as well ;)

Bjork had been a child singing star in Iceland, having chart hits when she was barely a teenager. The musical style was fairly commercial pop, were it not for the quaint weirdness that comes naturally to the inhabitants of Iceland. I have one of these solo child-star tracks on a "Chart pop" vinyl compilation album somewhere, but I can't remember how it goes; fairly non-descript, to be honest.

Then, in her later teens, when she was on the Reykjavik alternative/punk scene, she formed a band called Tappi Tikarass, which means something along the lines of "Cork the bitch's arse" . She may have done other stuff besides, but she joined KUKL, who put out acouple of albums on the Crass label ("The Eye" and "Holidays In Europe"). These were dark, obscure affairs, and a bit avant-garde for most people's tastes. When they decided to re-invent themselves in a more accessible light, they changed their name to The Sugarcubes. But it was essentially the same band. The Sugarcubes' material was released on the One Little Indian label (same as Chumbawamba's late 80s/ early 90s output) run by former Flux Of Pink Indians bass-player, Derek Birkett. Flux Of Pink Indians also had their debut release on the Crass label; the "Neu Smell" EP, featuring a punk classic in "Tube Disasters". So you see how influential that Crass/anarcho scene was, in an almost intangible way.

I thought I'd told you all this before? :P

I don't know if there would be enough songs to do a TT.

We might start (or add to) a music discussion thread and people can just post to it.

There might be a lot of people out there looking for Halloween music to play for party's and such.

As a loyal SFer I think we should have some good suggestions available :D

We have in the past done a Halloween Special:

2006 (lots of great suggestions & ideas here)

I haven't read it over, but I believe that we nominated not just those kooky novelty songs, but songs that are in the spirit of Halloween (example, Werewolves of London). Anyhoo, I think there were plenty of nominations.

We have so many other special things going right now, I don't know if we can do an official one, but the is no reason that we couldn't do an unofficial one, somewhat like MJ tribute we did unofficialy.

Edited by Guest

Even if we just added to the old thread so it shows as a more recent thread(makes it easier to find) would most likely be adequate.

I was thinking that there are only so many Halloween songs out there. Anything we do would just be a repeat of what has been done in the past.

But then you guys always comes up with pretty cool ideas and might be able to think of something fresh and new :D

well there's absolutely nothing speaking against your other suggestion:

We might start (or add to) a music discussion thread and people can just post to it.

There might be a lot of people out there looking for Halloween music to play for party's and such.

just because we won't vote on them doesn't mean they can't be posted

:) :thumbsup:

Edited by Guest

Should I maybe unlock & re-sticky the thread again, for the season? We can add to it, discuss, etc. if you'd like. That way if people want to nominate songs for Halloween during the rest of this month, there will be an actuve thread to draw from? After all that was a special, those songs aren't necessarily on the Every Song list.

I don't know... you have? :blush:

well, thanks for explaining it again then :)

Well,maybe I haven't explained the whole shebang, (her history as Iceland child prodigy or her membership of Tappi Tikarass), but I'm sure I've mentioned seeing Bjork in her pre-Sugarcubes KUKL days. My mate even climbed into the back of a van with her, but only to interview her for his fanzine. (This was the same friend, who four years later, came to lodge chez moi, and whom Dunstan (of Chumbawamaba) would visit.) Are you managing to keep up?

I don't like novelty songs, so I would abstain from participating if one was planned. Also, are there even enough Halloween songs to fill out 40 or so nominations?

Cripes! You must be an absolute hoot at parties.

We only have to nominate two each, you know? It is permissible to think laterally, choose songs with gothy, witchy or occult overtones; almost anything with "ghost", "bones" or "hell" in the title would probably do. If a pompous git like me can manage it- and I did last time- I'm sure anybody could.

Well,maybe I haven't explained the whole shebang, (her history as Iceland child prodigy or her membership of Tappi Tikarass), but I'm sure I've mentioned seeing Bjork in her pre-Sugarcubes KUKL days. My mate even climbed into the back of a van with her, but only to interview her for his fanzine. (This was the same friend, who four years later, came to lodge chez moi, and whom Dunstan (of Chumbawamaba) would visit.) Are you managing to keep up?

I think I should be keeping notes... sometimes my memory doesn't seem to be the best :P

We only have to nominate two each, you know? It is permissible to think laterally, choose songs with gothy, witchy or occult overtones; almost anything with "ghost", "bones" or "hell" in the title would probably do. If a pompous git like me can manage it- and I did last time- I'm sure anybody could.

that's only a theoretical excursion though, since we won't do it ;)

(but as already pointed out above, you're welcome to nominate Halloween-themed songs in the regular Top Ten)

Thought so: Songfacts Choice #74: http://forum.songfacts.com/showtopic.php?tid/142992/post/370720/hl/kukl/fromsearch/1/#370720

Scroll down the page a bit: you even reply to my post, mate, so I guess you must have read it. :shades:

I do actually remember the pronunciation issue ("Bjork" vs "Bjerk" vs "Byerk")

so I wasn't completely out of it :D

It is permissible to think laterally, choose songs with gothy, witchy or occult overtones; almost anything with "ghost", "bones" or "hell" in the title would probably do.

That is what I thought the "Halloween Theme" would lean toward, not novelty songs. I can think of plenty of songs, while not specifically Halloween related, that would musically and/or lyrically fit the occasion.

Nah, just music you might hear at a Halloween party. That might have halloween type imagery in either the title, lyrics or music. I've got a great complilation cd I made, and believe me, The Monster Mash isn't on it. Nor for that matter is Witch Doctor. Not that there is anything wrong with those ..... :D