Paul and John's Anti-War Views

RonJonSurfer

McCartney: I Was More Vocal Than Lennon

Macca claims he, not John Lennon, was the most vocal against the Vietnam War

(UPI) -- Paul McCartney says he, not fellow Beatles star John Lennon, was the seminal British rock band's most vocal opponent to the Vietnam War.

While Lennon, who was murdered in 1980, has long been seen as the most politically active Beatle, McCartney contends he was the first to introduce the Abbey Road band to Vietnam War concerns, The Sunday Times of London reported.

McCartney, in an interview with Prospect magazine, said he had been politically active since meeting noted pacifist Bertrand Russell during the1960s.

McCartney added that Russell informed him about the Vietnam War and the controversy surrounding it, leading him to bring the conflict to the attention of his fellow Beatles.

But former International Marxist Group leader Tariq Ali told The Sunday Times he was never aware of McCartney's political views at the time, suggesting it was Lennon who was the outspoken activist in the rock group.

"This is news to me. We never heard of Paul's views at the time," Ali said.

"It was John Lennon who was concerned about the war. He never mentioned McCartney and I never thought of asking him to join us."

© YellowBrix, Inc. Copyright 1997-2008

Copyright © 2003-2008 Clear Channel. All rights reserved.