Anyone familier with Italo Disco?

Lea

I stumbled across some of this kind of music and it's kinda cool. I know absolutely nothing about it and was wondering if anyone here could fill me in.

I think I found another very weird song I want to nominate for the ten :laughing: I'm pretty sure it won't receive much for votes but that's ok if it just gets listened to :D

I'm not really a fan of Italo Disco, but it's been kinda big here, so I know some stuff...

Vamos a la playa ~ Righeira

Mamma Mia ~ Ricchi e Poveri

a classic which is parodied very often here:

Felicita ~ Al Bano & Romina Power

and this one is by a German band

Carbonara ~ Spliff

btw, BA should be able to help you here, he likes that kind of music :)

:headphones:

This is the genre that would promote lip-synching galore. Here's a short list of stand-outs:

"Words" by F.R. David

"Tarzan Boy" by Baltimora

"Vamos A La Playa" by Righeira

"Don Quichotte" by Magazine 60

"Magic Carillion" by Rose

"Souvenir" as covered by Nicky And Nicky

"Catch Me Now I'm Falling" by K.B. Caps

"Vision Of Love" by DJ's Project

"Don't Cry" by Savage

"Self-Control" by Raff

"Fantasy" by Lian Ross

"Fotonovela" by Ivan

"Jasmine China Girl" by Mozzart

There are various compilations selling this junk out there. The only warning I can give you is that the sound is so saccharine and repetitive that a lot of it will sound the same (at times, they even use the exact same music!) and that for one catchy tune, you'll end up with 20 songs you won't wanna listen to again (unless you're already into that kind of music). Might I suggest some Pet Shop Boys and Erasure in case Italo Disco is not your cup o' tea?

Thanks Farin :D I am looking for a song called Rock Mumbles by Lewis I think. I just found it last night and liked that song. I can't find it anywhere online except for the myspace site.

Not to sure I care to much for the sound it's self but I did like the Rock Mumbles song. I emailed the person running the myspace page I found the song on but haven't heard back yet.

Not sure I'll become much of a fan but new stuff is always good :D I will also ask BA if he's heard of the song.

I got the idea it was popular back in the 80's and had disapeared like our Disco over here did. I was never much of a fan of Disco but that song was kinda cool. I was thinking about nominateing it for one of the tens :D

I found the song on a myspace page last night and really liked it.

Hi Lea,

The song will be up for months, maybe years. I have no intention of taking it down. The song is by Loui$ who is an italo disco artist. There isn't much info. other than this is NOT his biggest song. Check him out on discogs. com for more info.

Thanks!!

DJ Johnny

I think I will nominate it to the TT next week :D

Did you listen to any of the other songs from the link I sent? I've been listening to them and their pretty good :content:

I was never a Disco fan but I would have liked it better if we would have had this so called disco in the 80s. Not something I'd listen to on a regular basis but it's surprisingly good. I say surprisingly only because I've never cared for disco and that's what there calling it.

Well, it's really Italian Pop music from the 80s; some of it is German, French, and Spanish. Lea, this is all music from the 80s :headphones: I think it was more popular overseas than it was here in the US because I used to hear it all the time, but a lot of people here either don't remember it or never heard it in the first place. Later on, it was coined "Italo Disco" because so much of it came from Italy and had a similar beat. There are one or two real Euro Disco artists that some of you kids might know about: Giorgio Moroder and Jean-Marc Cerrone :cool: Their music was totally different and of better quality than Italo. Seriously, you should also check out New Wave/Synthpop bands like the Pet Shop Boys and Erasure for music that's like Italo Disco, but better.

Was this dubbed or did the singer know Spanish? My rapidly fading Spanish finally gets some use with this UTube video. (Not much call for Italian out here, aside from the odd Verdi opera or finding out what Chef Abruzzi really thinks of the dinner crowd.) :coolio:

It must be the Spanish version... I can´t youtube so I posted it blind... :cool: Pity, the Italian one is very good.