Dick and Jane find the Kitchen

Kevin

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is how I got Emily to eat cauliflower, she loves this salad!

CAULIFLOWER SALAD

1 head cauliflower

1 small red onion

1/2 lb bacon

2 c. Hellmans Mayo

1/4 c. Parmesan cheese, grated

2 tbs of sugar

Chop cauliflower into bite-size florets. Peal and half the onion and slice thinly. Cook the bacon, cool and crumble up. Put the cauliflower in a plastic bowl, layer on the onion, sprinkle on the bacon, sprinkle on the cheese and the sugar. Spread the mayo over top. Cover and chill 6 hours or over night. Before serving stir the salad.

This is how I got Emily to eat cauliflower, she loves this salad!

CAULIFLOWER SALAD

1 head cauliflower

1 small red onion

1/2 lb bacon

2 c. Hellmans Mayo

1/4 c. Parmesan cheese, grated

2 tbs of sugar

Chop cauliflower into bite-size florets. Peal and half the onion and slice thinly. Cook the bacon, cool and crumble up. Put the cauliflower in a plastic bowl, layer on the onion, sprinkle on the bacon, sprinkle on the cheese and the sugar. Spread the mayo over top. Cover and chill 6 hours or over night. Before serving stir the salad.

This is good with some broccoli mixed in, too. :grin:

Making your Cedar Point Stew tonight , Jane + the wine ;) . Smells good so far - and useful as the wife could come home anywhere between 7 and 10 pm tonight .

Here's a rub recipe that is too good not to share . Great for chicken , pork chops , but especially ribs . Optimal results occur if you have the time to prepare them a day before , but right up to cooking time works well , too . Thank you , Betty Crocker !

Southwestern rub:

1 tbsp chili powder

1 tbsp vegetable oil

1 tsp cumin

1/4 tsp of salt ( or to taste )

1/4 tsp of cayenne pepper or a hot powder - paprika will do.

1 clove of garlic finely chopped or mashed .

------

Rub on meat and put in a baggie or covered dish and refrigerate . Bring out at least 30 before cooking/grilling to reach room temp . After a bit of cooking , cover with your favorite barbeque sauce . Enough rub for 1-2 lbs of meat .

~1/2 an hour to go , but all is well . My sister gave me a Rival slow cooker for Xmas last year , and even with the slight voltage difference , it works fine . Hope you enjoy the rub - the cumin is unusual in most N.Amer. rubs . :thumbsup:

Edited by Guest

Any stellar BBQ recipes, and I'm gonna try them! I'll try yours, Kev... Andy is a huge BBQ fan, and I'd love to have something that he's not heard of before, because he's also an excellent cook and would appear to have done it all. I need to knock his socks off with a BBQ dish.

Who are Dick and Jane? :P

I'm not sure who Jane is, but Kevin's definitely the former.

Here's one of my favorite recipes. I call it "The Thursday Nighter"...

1. Take can of beer from refrigerator

2. Open can of beer

3. Pour beer into large frosty mug (leaving about an ounce in the can to be used in waterbong)

4. Pour remaining ounce of beer into waterbong

5. Fill waterbong with parsley, oregano, chives, or any other available green, leafy substance

6. Place mug of beer and waterbong on coffee table alongside remote control

7. Garnish with chicken wings, matches, potato chips, celery and bleu cheese dressing

:afro: :afro: :afro: :jester: :beatnik: :beatnik:

I was just joshin' witcha, Kev. You're really a good man. Geez, I didn't think it would kill the thread.

I made "Instant Nachos" for the game last night...

1. Lay out saltines, Wheat Thins, or Ritz crackers on paper plate

2. Lay a thin slice of Velveeta on top of cracker

3. Top with half-teaspoon of hot salsa

4. Drink Beer or grape Kool-Aid

5. Watch game

:afro: :afro: :afro: :jester: :thumbsup:

I'm having a traditional vegetable bake for dinner (we call it briam in greek) so I thought I'd post the recipe- it's very simple

slice potatoes, onions, peppers, aubergines (eggplant), courgette (zucchine) - adjust quantity for number of people. for two I added 3 medium sized potatoes, 1 onion, 1 pepper, 1 aubergine and 1 courgette

add chopped garlic, olive oil (extra virgin if possible), chopped tomatoes (1 can for previous quantities) and a little water

season with salt and pepper to taste and oregano. To add a twist, I also add chilli and a teaspoon of sundried tomato paste

bake in the oven for 1 hour at 200 degrees until all vegetables are thoroughly cooked