Facts needed for Van Halen's "Jump"

babyteen

Someone on songfacts, I'm not quite sure who it was, said that Van Halen's song, "Jump" was partially inspired by the Hall & Oates song, "Kiss On My List". Is this true? Or is it just another rumor? Please help clear up this confusion for me!

Edited by Guest
title

at least Daryl Hall claimed it in an interview

“No question about it,†Hall agrees. “Michael Jackson once said directly to me that he hoped I didn't mind that he copped that groove. That's okay; it's something we all do. [Eddie] Van Halen told me that he copied the synth part from ‘Kiss on My List’ and used it in ‘Jump.’ I don't have a problem with that at all.

Other things about the song "Jump"

-David Lee Roth really didn't like the use of synthesizers and felt the song was a change in the band's direction musically. It was the beginning of tension between Roth and the rest of the band which eventually led to their breakup.(Well...the first of many breakups.)

-The inspiration of this song was a "jumper" who was on top of a building threatening to jump.The crowd below was yelling "jump!! jump!! jump!!".The "jumper" was overheard to say "I might as well jump." David Lee Roth was watching a live television broadcast of these events and that line help to inspire his writting of the song.The jumper was saved by the way.

-David Lee Roth directed the video which cost just over $500 and several bottles of Jack Daniels.

Just some tid-bits for you.

Both. But I like a lot of Van Halen's songs, but I never cared for "Jump", maybe because it has an element of Hall and/or Oates.

It's okay, but definitely not one of their best.

:afro: :afro: :afro: :jester: :rockon: :rockon:

So, in other words, you never liked the Hall & Oates song either? I think Hall & Oates are cool! And by the way, today is Daryl Hall's birthday! He's 61, and to me, I say he's still going strong!