Charlotte Devasted by Hurricane Van Halen

Lucky

VAN HALEN OPENS TOUR WITH LIGHTS, LASERS, 24-SONG SET & ROTH

Van Halen kicked off its first tour in 22 years with original singer David Lee Roth at the mic on Thursday night (September 27th) at the Charlotte Bobcats Arena in Charlotte, North Carolina, delivering a 24-song set that included nearly every classic tune from the band's first six studio albums. Taking the stage at 8:30 p.m. before a sold-out, fanatical audience, the quartet opened with its very first hit single from 1978, their cover of the Kinks' "You Really Got Me." Roth and bassist Wolfgang Van Halen, son of guitarist Eddie Van Halen, made full use of the semi-circular stage which snaked into the middle of the audience. Roth did his trademark patter between songs, while Alex Van Halen took a powerhouse drum solo, and Eddie's featured solo incorporated segments of several of his best-known instrumental pieces like "Eruption" and "Cathedral."

The band made use of an extensive light and laser show, while Roth waved a huge red flag toward the finale and tons of confetti were fired above the audience. A newly sober Eddie Van Halen was energetic on guitar, and his and his 15-year-old son's harmony backing vocals reportedly made up for the absence of original bassist and backup singer Michael Anthony.

One eyewitness at the show simply said, "Call FEMA, Charlotte has been devastated by Hurricane Van Halen."

The tour next stops in Greensboro, North Carolina on Saturday (September 29th).

Van Halen's opening night set list:

"You Really Got Me"

"I'm the One"

"Runnin' With the Devil"

"Romeo Delight"

"Somebody Get Me a Doctor"

"Beautiful Girls"

"Dance the Night Away"

"Atomic Punk"

"Everybody Wants Some"

"So This Is Love?"

"Mean Street"

"Pretty Woman"

Drum Solo

"Unchained"

"I'll Wait"

"And the Cradle Will Rock"

"Hot for Teacher"

"Little Dreamer"

"Little Guitars"

"Jamie's Cryin'"

"Ice Cream Man"

"Panama"

Guitar Solo (including "Women in Love" intro, "Cathedral", "Eruption")

"Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love"

(encore)

"1984"

"Jump"

(Special thanks to Roxy Myzal, Andy Denemark, Monte Conner and Justin Arcangel for reporting on this story.)

Copyright © 2001-2007 Emmis Interactive/St. Louis. All Rights Reserved.