The 'putting your life into perspective' thread

Earth-Angel

I find it really difficult to accept a compliment. Not only because I doubt people's sincerity, but because I can't see the good bit that is being spoken about in myself.

Does it matter? Either your friends are complimenting you on a quality that they see in you or they are complimenting you in order to make you feel better. It's a win-win situation :rockon:

On the other hand, I KNOW when someone is just flat-out lying to me and being a sycophant in order to get out of a bind... or someone who's trying to soften a rejection. Then, things are completely different and, what may sound as a compliment, is really just them kicking me in the goolies so to speak.

To put that into perspective, I'd say I feel more at ease being directly rejected than someone who goes through the trouble of lying to me in order to "spare my feelings" or, what I think is behind it all, in order for them to not end up looking bad in front of me and others. I mean, no matter how it's sliced, it's a rejection: a swift kick on the head into the abyss :rockon:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Currently I'm feeling misunderstood, unappreciated, useless... :P

There are numerous (powerful) nations where people have to fear for and risk their freedom, health or even life for saying their own opinion :(

You have the right to free speech

... as long as you're not

dumb enough to actually try it!

Know your rights

These are your rights

~ The Clash

I'm feeling really down, because my teenage son feels that it's necessary to argue with me and disagree with everything I say. It can be something as innocuous as "it's hot outside." "No it's not, Mom." Every nitpicky little thing.

I'm fortunate that my son is healthy and is ABLE to disagree with me. There are so many kids out there that aren't physically or mentally capable of even talking, much less being annoying.

• 1 year later...