love will tear us apart....

johnny

....is an incredible song. for those of you who don't know the song it's by a band called Joy Division. I think it's a very important song in the way it has had effect on so many artist/bands. Anyway, this song has be covered sooooooooooo many times, and like with any song that gets covered, there are good and bad versions. So, my question is fellow songfactors (or songfactettes) is what versions do you like. Personally I love the Nick Cave version. The version by the Cure is pretty good to. Oh, and Fall Out Boy's version is absolute rubbish....

More info about "Love Will Tear Us Apart"

Numerous cover versions have been recorded by:

Paul Young

The Cure

Unbroken

Skamp vocalist Erica Jennings

Squarepusher

Swans

Calexico

The Shanes

Nerina Pallot

Kiki and Herb

The Frames

Nouvelle Vague

José González

Fall Out Boy

Los 7 Delfines

Nada Surf

Adi Ryan

The most recent version to be a hit single in the UK Top 75 Singles Chart is an ambient reading of the song by Glenn Gregory and his band Honeyroot. There were also two versions done by Swans, one sung by Michael Gira in his own drawling baritone, the other by female singer Jarboe.

Anything Box side project The Diary covered the song on their 1995 Page One album, and there is a version on the South American release of Darkness and Hope by Moonspell, a Portuguese gothic metal band.

Likewise, Yat Kha, a Russian Tuvinian punk band, does a Kargyraa throat singing rendition on their 2005 album Recovers. The Scottish pop group Bis recorded an electro version for their Fact 2002 EP and also included it as a hidden track on the UK version of their 2001 album Return To Central.

Bono regularly plays a snippet from the track during U2's live performances of "With or Without You", and U2 played a full cover with Arcade Fire in 2005.

Nouvelle Vague also released a cover of the song on their 2005 eponymous debut album, a collection of new wave and punk songs performed in a bossa nova style. More recently, Jose Gonzalez covered the song acoustically for his EP 'Remain', as did Fall Out Boy on their 2004 acoustic EP My Heart Will Always Be the B-Side to My Tongue.

In 2006 Susanna and the Magical Orchestra released a version on their album Melody Mountain, Released in 2007 by Nerina Pallot on the single of Learning to Breathe.

Alistair Griffin recorded an acoustic version on his EP finding Boethius, released December 2006.

It is briefly incorporated into the song "Just Can't Function No More" by Me And Him Call It Us.

I had almost forgotten that Swans had quite a big indie-chart hit with their rather good rendition of the song in about '88/89, (I'm guessing).