Lennon's Rubber Soul Electrocution Risk

Lennon risked electrocution

John Lennon risked electrocution when recording the Beatles song "Yellow Submarine", it has been claimed.

The rock legend wanted the classic recording to sound as if it was being sung underwater, according to Geoff Emerick, engineer on the track.

However, his plan to sing through a mic in a bottle of water was deemed to be extremely dangerous by Emerick, who suggested covering the microphone in a condom.

Emerick reveals: "John wanted to be recorded underwater to simulate being in a submarine. He was like that. He didn't realise the implications of that.

"I thought to get a bottle of water and put a microphone in the water and get him to sing to that and then I realised there was a huge amount of electrical current going through the microphone.

Concerned that he might be "blown up", the recording team came up with the original idea. "So to protect the mic, Mal Evans (Beatles road manager) had a condom in his bag and I put the mic in the condom and put it in the bottle.

"John could've blown up because there was 240 volts running through this thing. It was part of some lead vocal but they never used it. I'm sure it's somewhere," said Emerick.