Boy George is becoming a man - A Garbage Man!

MindCrime

Fox News ~ The Culture Club crooner came to Manhattan from his native Britain Monday so he could sign up for his court-ordered, five-day stint of community service.

He was pretty cheerful, despite learning he'll be assigned to the city Sanitation Department. Asked how he felt about how his October cocaine case has turned out, he answered with a jokey question.

"Sexually or metaphorically?"

No, really. What do you think of the prospect of cleaning New York City parks or streets?

"I've always been a scrubber," he winked.

"Scrubber" is British street-speak for a prostitute, or a promiscuous woman. Then he joked that he's actually been assigned "to teach basketball in Harlem."

The androgynous pop dinosaur, whose real name is George O'Dowd, got in trouble last fall, when he admittedly summoned cops to his apartment and told them it had been burglarized, which it hadn't.

Instead of burglars, the responding cops found baggies. He was busted for felony cocaine possession for the 13 little bags of cocaine cops say they found sitting out by his computer.

Last March, he was allowed to take a no-jail plea on a misdemeanor charge of falsely reporting an incident.

Ever since, the city's newest sanitation worker has tried his darnedest to do his community service any which way but with a broom -- suggesting first an AIDS benefit concert, then time volunteering with AIDS-impacted mothers and youth.

But tough-talking Manhattan Criminal Court Judge Anthony Ferrara nixed all alternate plans, insisting that community service was meant to be a democratic punishment -- with no special treatment for celebrities.

"It's up to you whether it will be an exercise in humiliation or in humility," the judge said.

And so the 44-year-old singer, DJ and fashion designer agreed Monday to roll one of those plastic bins around town while wearing a dingy green uniform.

A Sanitation spokeswoman said her department had yet to be informed of his assignment.

The judge's parting words were to apprise Boy George of the consequences should he chicken out at the last minute: leaving court in a Correction Department bus.

In which case, "Bring your toothbrush," the judge warned.

"He's ready to do it," meaning ready to make New York City a cleaner place, said Boy George's lawyer, Lou Freeman.

That reminds me of this song:

The Garbage Man ~ The Simpsons

Who can take your trash out

Stump it down for you

Shake the plastic bag

And do the twisty thingy too

The Garbage Man!

Oh the Garbage Man can

The Garbage Man can

And he does it with a smile

and never judges you.

Who can take this diaper?