The Songfactor's Choice Top Ten Facts

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Songfactors' Choice Top Ten #314

This week there is 6 (six) songs needing facts.

The Songfactors' Choice Top Ten #313

1. Till The End Of The Day - The Kinks (1966)

2. Angry Eyes - Loggins & Messina (1972)

3. Lookin' For A Love - J. Geils Band (1971)

4. Fantasy - Aldo Nova (1981)

5. Raindrops - Dee Clark (1961)

6. Dennis - Badfinger (1974)

If you have any info on any of the songs mentioned anywhere in this thread, please feel free to post your knowledge here. Submissions on songs will be collated and sent to the main site and you will receive credit for your contribution.

As always the Songfish thanks you

:guitar: :drummer: :rock:

Edited by Guest

Till the End of the Day: Written by Ray Davies. Released first as a single in 1965 and then featured on the album The Kink Kontroversy. Has been covered by Big Star and Shonen Knife.

Angry Eyes: The final track on their self titled second album.

Lookin' For A Love: A cover of a song by the Valentinos.

Fantasy: Aldo Nova's debut single. Featured on the final episode of the TV series Rob and Big. A cover version by Steel Panther is the theme song for Rob Dyrdek's Fantasy Factory.

Dennis: The title was inspired by the cartoon Dennis the Menace. It was written about the son of the girlfriend's lead singer and the silly things he would do to get into trouble.

Till the End of the Day: Written by Ray Davies. Released first as a single in 1965 and then featured on the album The Kink Kontroversy. Has been covered by Big Star and Shonen Knife.

The single was B-sided by "Where Have All the Good Times Gone" and released on November 19th 1965 in the UK and on Marc 2nd in the US.

Fantasy: Aldo Nova's debut single. Featured on the final episode of the TV series Rob and Big. A cover version by Steel Panther is the theme song for Rob Dyrdek's Fantasy Factory.

Written by Aldo Nova, the single was B-sided by "Under the Gun" and released in 1981. Also a track of his debut album.

It reached #3 in the Billboard chart, #14 in Canada and #23 in the US.

"Raindrops"

Dee Clark

Written by Dee Clark.

Released as a single in April 1961 with "I Want to Love You" as the B-side.

It charted at#3 at the R&B Singles Chart and #2 on Billboard Hot 100.

Note the similarity between the guitar hook on Them's 1964 hit "Here Comes The Night" (played by Jimmy Page) and the guitar hook on "Raindrops", played by Phil Upchurch.

Dennis: The title was inspired by the cartoon Dennis the Menace. It was written about the son of the girlfriend's lead singer and the silly things he would do to get into trouble.

Written by Peter Ham, a track of their sixth album "Wish You Were Here", recorded on 9 April - 7 May 1974 and released in November 1974.

Written by Peter Ham, a track of their sixth album "Wish You Were Here", recorded on 9 April - 7 May 1974 and released in November 1974.

The album was pulled out of record stores in 1975, seven weeks after release because of a lawsuit between WB music publishing and Badfinger's management.

AOR means "album-oriented rock." Think deep cuts instead of just singles. AOR stations played more albums in full, and were less reliant on playlists of specific songs; they could play whatever they wanted from that album.

Clearly at one point Billboard had a chart for songs featured on this kind of radio format, but they don't anymore. I don't really think it matters.

Edna,

What is an AOR chart?

I've never heard of it and I couldn't find any info about it.

AOR means "album-oriented rock." Think deep cuts instead of just singles. AOR stations played more albums in full, and were less reliant on playlists of specific songs; they could play whatever they wanted from that album.

Clearly at one point Billboard had a chart for songs featured on this kind of radio format, but they don't anymore. I don't really think it matters.

Actually, pink, it's rather "Adult-Oriented-Rock".

More exactly, a sort of more "commercial" but good music. Not bubble-gum or plain pop. A some more "deep" music for people who would buy records. I remeber reading that word very often in the 60s and 70s. We used it a lot in the music biz.

Yet, there is some information in the net about AOR that I ignored: Here. I didn't know the word was employed in that sense too.

yet you're right as well, it's also "Album-Oriented-Rock", as wiki says...

Edited by Guest

The Songfactors' Choice Top Ten #315

This week there is 5 (five) songs needing facts.

The Songfactors' Choice Top Ten #315

1. Come Go With Me - The Dell-Vikings (1957)

2. A Little Night Music - Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (1787)

3. Change Of Heart - Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers (1983)

4. Blue Rondo A La Turk - Dave Brubeck Quartet (1959)

5. Alone Again - Dokken (1984)

If you have any info on any of the songs mentioned anywhere in this thread, please feel free to post your knowledge here. Submissions on songs will be collated and sent to the main site and you will receive credit for your contribution.

"Come Go With Me"

The Dell-Vikings

Written by Clarence Quick.

It was recorded by The Del-Vikings in 1956.

The single was released in 1957, B-sided by "How Can I Find True Love". It reached #4 on the Billboard Hot 100 and was a big hit for the doo-wop band.

Paul McCartney said that when he first met John Lennon in 1957, Lnnon was playing the song with his band, The Quarrymen, slightly changing the lyrics as he wouldn't exactly remember them.

" Change Of Heart"

Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers

Written by Tom Petty.

Recorded as a track of his fifth album "Long After Dark", released in November 1982.

Also a single, B-sided by "Heartbreakers Beach Party" and released on February next year.

It was the second single from the album.

It reached #21 on U.S. Billboard Hot 100, #10 on

U.S. Billboard Album Rock Tracks and #36 on the Singles Chart in Canada.

"Alone Again"

Dokken

Written by Don Dokken and Jeff Pilson.

A track of their second album "Tooth and Nail", released in September 1984.

A power ballad also released as a single.

It made#64 on Billboard Hot 100 and #20 on the Hot Mainstream Rock Tracks chart.

It's a song about a break-up and the depression that came after.

"Blue Rondo A La Turk"

Dave Brubeck Quartet

Written by Dave Brubeck.

Recorded in the summer of 1959 and released on December 14th of the same year as a track of the album "Time Out".

It's a classic jazz composition written in 9/8 and swing 4/4.

While touring in Turkey, Brubeck heard some Turkish musicians playing on the street. The rhythm has nothing to do with the standards he knew so he asked the players about it.

He was told by one of them that that rhythm was the equivalent of what blues meant to him.

That's why he called it "Blue Rondo à la Turk."

The rhythm consists of three measures of 2+2+2+3 followed by one measure of 3 + 3 + 3 and the cycle then repeats.

Dave Brubeck on piano, Paul Desmond on alto saxophone, Eugene Wright on bass and Joe Morello on drums are the legendary Dave Brubeck Quartet.

"A Little Night Music"

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

Eine kleine Nachtmusik (Serenade No. 13 for strings in G major), K. 525, is a 1787 composition for a chamber ensemble by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart. The German title means "a little serenade," though it is often rendered more literally but less accurately as "a little night music." The work is written for an ensemble of two violins, viola, and cello with optional double bass, but is often performed by string orchestras

Completed in Vienna in 1787, it was published after Mozart's death, in 1827, after Constanze, his widow, sold it to Johann André in Offenbach am Main, a publisher.

:help: :help:

• 1 month later...

The Songfactors' Choice Top Ten #316

This week there is 4 (four) songs needing facts.

The Songfactors' Choice Top Ten #316

1. But It's Alright - J.J. Jackson (1966)

2. Goo Goo Barabajagal (Love Is Hot) - Donovan with The Jeff Beck Group (1969)

3. Rockaria! - Electric Light Orchestra (1976)

4. Things I'd Like To Say - New Colony Six (1968)

Edited by Guest