Drugs arrest for George Michael

invisible_r

(bbc news website)

George Michael has been bailed to return to a police station

Singer George Michael has been arrested on suspicion of possessing drugs in London's West End.

Police arrested the 42-year-old in the early hours of Saturday morning after a call from a member of the public who reported seeing the singer in his car.

It is thought he was held on suspicion of possessing Class C drugs.

Police confirmed that a 42-year-old man had been arrested and that he has been bailed to return to a police station next month.

An ambulance was sent to the scene but the former Wham! star was not taken to hospital.

"We were called by a member of the public to a man seen slumped over the steering wheel of a car on the street close to Hyde Park Corner," a Metropolitan Police spokesman said.

"A search of the man revealed what was believed to be controlled substances."

from the bbc website

n a statement to the press, Michael said that the incident was his "own stupid fault, as usual".

The singer, who was bailed to appear at a police station next month, said he had "no complaints" with the police.

He said: "I was in possession of class C drugs which is an offence and I have no complaints about the police who were professional throughout."

Michael said his experience of the media meant that he knew exactly what treatment awaited him over the next week.

He said: "I have been through enough in 24 years of dealing with the media to know what I am in for from them this week.

"Much of it will be inaccurate or simply untrue. I can handle that, it is my own stupid fault, as usual."