Diamond Head Crater Celebration...$$$

Otokichi

It's been 20-30 years since the inside of Diamond Head crater has been a music venue, but in the late 1960's to the mid-70's, one could welcome the new year with the likes of Santana, Steve Miller, Bachman-Turner Overdrive, and War. However, this April 1st, The Steve Miller Band and War will shake the place up from 2-8p.m., for $125-$175(!), which includes shuttle bus service. This toned-down version of the Crater Festival is limited to 7,500 bodies as a test. (When the tickets were $5 and people hiked over the crater rim back then, rowdiness, sex, drugs, fights, littering on a massive scale were the rule, when up to 50,000 gathered for a good time.) I'm not sure I'll go, since I'm older/wiser/less rowdy than back then. The ticket prices may look steep, but the last Eagles concert was in the $250 range. :drummer:

This one of these "other acts/artists are yet to be named" kind of things. Local acts/artists of the period haven't been named either, but the Crater Festival/Celebration was mum on details. The inside of Diamond Head/Le'ahi crater has been off limits to concert promoters of all stripes in spite of it's large grassy area and ampitheater-like qualities. The ticket cost and limited audience size makes it a "Rich Yuppie" venue, like the indoor Eagles concert.