Dear Mr. Fantasy play us a tune

Something to make us all happy

Do anything, take us out of this gloom,

Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy

You are the one who can make us all laugh

But doing that you break out in tears

Please don't be sad, if it was a straight life you had

We wouldn't have known you all these years

I love this song, always have, always will.

It's beautiful, wonderful... but what does it mean? Who is it about?

I can find nothing.

Can you help?

This is one of my favorite songs, you're right it's beuatiful.

I have only an opinion to offer. I always felt that Mr Fantasy was there to please the audience, the fans, make us feel good, no matter whether he was crying inside or not. That his personal stuff didn't matter, just make us feel good. That's just an opinion, and a pretty selfish thought actually! :crazy:

I have only an opinion to offer. I always felt that Mr Fantasy was there to please the audience, the fans, make us feel good, no matter whether he was crying inside or not. That his personal stuff didn't matter, just make us feel good. That's just an opinion, and a pretty selfish thought actually! :crazy:

Killer guitar work on this song too.

It's amazing, the stuff you can find on the web.

"Mr. Fantasy was the only song that was scribbling on a piece of paper.

Next to the drawing - I'm not really even trying to write a song - I had written a letter and this character who had become Mr. Fantasy.

One day, I was doodling on this paper and I drew this character with a spiky hat. I don't draw very good. He was playing a guitar, but not using his hands. He was operating a pair of hands on the end of puppet strings that were playing the guitar." ~ Jim Capaldi

I´m in a Traffic mood these days... I found three of their albums among my records (Mr Fantasy, Welcome to the canteen, JB must die) and I´ve been listening to Traffic for a while... I also remembered I had seen a concert or two of Kim Capaldi, with Mick Taylor and Jack Bruce...

I wish me and my sax were there right now too.

It would be great... :) It´s a pretty rainy fall day and it´s all so calm... though we´d have to get rid of my husband who´s making silly comments about how it sounds like "Jesus Christ Superstar"... :laughing:

It would be great... :) It´s a pretty rainy fall day and it´s all so calm... though we´d have to get rid of my husband who´s making silly comments about how it sounds like "Jesus Christ Superstar"... :laughing:

Maybe Jesus Christ is your husband's "Freedom Rider"?? (or maybe not).

Edited by Guest

It's amazing, the stuff you can find on the web.

"Mr. Fantasy was the only song that was scribbling on a piece of paper.

Next to the drawing - I'm not really even trying to write a song - I had written a letter and this character who had become Mr. Fantasy.

One day, I was doodling on this paper and I drew this character with a spiky hat. I don't draw very good. He was playing a guitar, but not using his hands. He was operating a pair of hands on the end of puppet strings that were playing the guitar." ~ Jim Capaldi

Interesting,stuff baz, you should submit it, add to Songfacts, or I'll do it if you want, in your name of course. Let me know. I'd like to see this song listed in the database. It's a classic.

I strung together some disjointed stuff from that Brainy Quote site.

Unfortunately it doesn't show the original source for the quoted Jim Capaldi material. I'll bet this is from some interview that could supply more details.

It works. It's get's this amazing song listed as the (only) second song listed for an incredibly underated band.

Interesting,stuff baz, you should submit it, add to Songfacts, or I'll do it if you want, in your name of course. Let me know. I'd like to see this song listed in the database. It's a classic.

I think Traffic sometimes gets overlooked by 'classic Rock' newcomers who weren't around for the actual Golden Age.

Sure, add this to the Songfacts resources. You can just credit the Quotes website.

I think CeeCeeRider is right. I´ve always had the same feeling about the lyrics in this song. One of Traffic´s masterpieces.