Genesis and Alan Partridge

Carl

Since I'm planted firmly in the US, I have no idea what this means or if it's true. Any ideas?

Song Name: Turn it on

Artist: Genesis

SongFacts: Surely this is about the Steve Coogan comic character ALAN PARTRIDGE.ie A TV personality has-been talking & bragging about their past.

Alan Partridge is a 'funny' guy created by a British actor, Steve Coogan. I think Alan was based on a radio host or a TV anchor who interviewed him before he became famous. He started imitating him and Alan was 'born'. He impersonates zombies quite well too.

zombie.jpg

He typically says "Aha, I'm Alan Partridge", although I don't know why. He also pulls alot of funny faces, this one is the most trademark one:

38.jpg

Turn it on(again) - Genesis

All I need is a tv show, that and the radio

Down on my luck again, down on my luck again

I can show you I can show you some of the people in my life

It?s driving me mad just another way of passing the day

I, I get so lonely when she?s not there

I, i, i...

You?re just another face that I know from the tv show

I have known you for so very long I feel you like a friend

Can?t you do anything for me, can I touch you for a while

Can I meet you another day and we will fly away

It?s driving me mad it?s just another way of passing the day

I, I get so lonely when she?s not there

I, i, i...

Turn it on, turn it on, turn it on again

Turn it on, turn it on, turn it on again i can see another face

Turn it on, turn it on, turn it on again I can see another face

Turn it on, turn it on, turn it on again

I'm sure someone else from the UK will be able to fill in the blanks :)

For what ever it's worth, I always thought of this song as a kind of metaphor for the reliabilty of music/musicians and TV shows (or rather the characters on the shows) being a more reliable "friend" than real ones. When a real friend (girl friend, boy friend; whatever)lets you down or leaves you alone, you feel you can rely on your heros to always be there for you. An example would be being depressed if all your friends go somewhere and you're left behind, you might find comfort in the show Cheers, where everbody nows your name. Or the radio, turn it on, or the TV, it's your friend and is always there for you, twenty-four-seven, all you have to do is turn it on, turn it on again.

I remember reading not long ago about anti-social behavior and how television has played a major role in that, heck i even rememer people telling me about how the Jack Benny show on Sunday nights back in the 30's drove people home early from church socials, I've heard about people being so drawn into the Jack Benny show, the Burns and Allen show as well as Desi and Lucy and the Nelsons (Ozzie and Harriet and family) and people actually thought of them as part of their own families ...it still goes on today. I wonder how many people suffered depression when Friends went of the air, and the reruns in syndiction right now are record setting. Quite a phenominon!

Mike

'Knowing me, knowing you....aha!'

Alan's catchphrase (after Abba).

Personally I think he is a cross between Eamonn Holmes and Richard Whitely. He makes me laugh.

His funniest characters IMO are Paul & Pauline Calf. We all know people like that!

Regards

Alan Partridge is hilarious...

Diggs ~ I love his catchphrase!