Old school Punk

fightthepower

Unfortunately, I can't get how to quote more than one person's post in my own, so you'll have to believe me when I tell you that The Cyberdemon stated "never call yourself a punk if you listen to the Sex Pistols", citing them as an example of "corporate punk", before, in his next breath , telling fightthepower that he had overlooked "classics like The Pogues and The Clash"

I object to both his statement and his reasoning.

1) I object to being told what I can and can't like, regardless whether I'm a punk or not. (At 40, I'm not...any more)The irony of his statement is almost too hideous for words.

2) I object to his reasoning because it stinks...for reasons I have tried to explain.

Short of writing a dissertation, how much further can I go with it?

I take on board what you 've pointed out , Edna. I am well aware of the marketing of the Pistols, the label-swapping shenanigans. I'm not trying to claim any moral high-ground for them at all. They all "sold-out", really. But they all made some really great music. Nearly 30 years on, do we still have to make a choice between the two? Do I have to be told what I can and can't like in order to qualify as a "true punk", based on such spurious and unsustainable grounds. Does anybody else see the irony? Or get my point? [

Half the point must be that a 'true punk' wouldn't bother with the debate at all IMO, as all 'true punks' either died of glue years ago or sell insurance nowadays.

I am 39, and was too young for the beginnings of punk in the UK. My older sister was one of the originals though, and I don'n recollect her agonising over the valididty of either band before playing Never Mind The Bollocks and The Clash to death....

Oh, sorry, some of the 'true punks' do live on. They listen to Dub, smoke too much dope and can't hold down a job....

Regards

Short of writing a dissertation, how much further can I go with it?

[

Whilst browsing elsewhere, I found this:

www.uk-dance.org/knowledge/social_aspects_of_music/000056.html

The dissertation I never got round to writing! Everything, (and I mean pretty much everything) you need to know about "punk" (US and UK), from both "musical lineage" and "socio-political context" perspectives, including some details on the pervasive influence on subsequent music / art / fashion, etc, and some details on "post-punk" subcultures. It comes complete with Bibliography... Very interesting, if you've got a few minutes to spare and some free space in your head. :beatnik:

Does any one on this site like the "crap" I do like DK, The Clash,Ramones,Damned, Sex Pistols, Uk Subs, The Queers, Bad Brains, and even some post punk like the Dropkick Murphys, Flogging Molly, Misfits, and other stuff like that. Also pre-punk like Mc5, Velvet Underground, and yes i consider phychadelic left wing rock "punk"

Ironically that's the same word my dad used to describe what I was listening to one day last week. I live on Ramones, Dead Kennedy's. And yeah Dropkick and Misfits are aweseom too.

But my all time hands down favorite punk band has got to be The Germs.