Apple Starts a Music Social Network

Carl

Is anyone really thinking, "Gee, I need another social network in my life?"

Well, Apple doesn't have a lot to lose with this, and folks might download iTunes 10 to check it out. Called "Ping," there are 2 big features:

1) "Follow" artists like you would on Twitter.

2) Let the world see exactly what music you're buying or listening to and share that information with other Ping users.

As for #1, there are only a few artists right now that Apple has convinced to Ping, so if you're really dying to about read what Lady Ga Ga has to say, this is yet another way to get it. It's like Facebook in that you can reply to the artist's posts, but the comments are mostly buried and mostly spam.

#2 has a pretty intrusive feel, as it's based on what you are buying and listening to. You might think twice about purchasing that Taylor Swift single if you have to explain yourself. This freaks me out a little, as I'd much rather share my selected listening experiences here with you guys and have a real dialogue.

It's a way for Apple to burrow a bit deeper into our devices and our lives, which will help them take on Google when that inevitable battle of the titans takes place. Songfacts was built on a Mac and I love their stuff, but I'm starting to wean myself off their products because they are getting too intrusive and too corporate without offing Google's freebies.

Apple's Ping