A Little Bit Of Confusion on Sting's "Children's Crusade"

babyteen

There's this song by Sting that I've been listening to for the past few days, and I was listening very carefully to the lyrics. The song is "Children's Crusade", which is taken from "The Dream Of The Blue Turtles".I have a few questions about this song, and I was wondering if you have the answers for me.

1. What is (was) the Children's Crusade? Was it a Peace March in England during World War I?

2. What is the Flower Of England? Does it refer to a flower? A Queen? A Princess?

3. How can a flower be slaughtered?

Hi, babyteen...

I think you read this: http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=8203

2. What is the Flower Of England? Does it refer to a flower? A Queen? A Princess?

3. How can a flower be slaughtered?

In this case, the Flower means the youth.

Most of the lyrics deal with the savage stupidity of World War I between 1914-18 when the flower of British youth was slaughtered on the battlefields of Belgium and France

I guess that would refer to the young british soldiers in World War 1

Most of the lyrics deal with the savage stupidity of World War I between 1914-18 when the flower of British youth was slaughtered on the battlefields of Belgium and France

the flower is the youth, which was murdered and that affected the whole following generation...

and Sting compares them to the useless deaths of the Middle Age's Children Crusades...

Edited by Guest