retro

Batman

what do you think of the latest craze of bands with a 60's/70's retro sound?

i think it works well for some bands (the white stripes, the exploding hearts), but some bands rely completely on their retro sound and don't have good songwriting to back it up (jet, wolfmother).

I prefer the late 70s and early 80s New Wave and Eurodisco sound that The Faint, Air, and Daft Punk have carried on with. I'm on the fence when it comes to Franz Ferdinand since they just blatantly cut and pasted every bit of their sound AND look - and we can definitely forget about absolute crap such as The Killers, The Bravery, The Strokes, Snow Patrol, and other bands that try to combine some New Wave, some Power Pop, some Indie with the worst qualities of BritPop and Singer-Songwriter into what I now term as "Wuss Rock" (especially in the case of Snow Patrol).

As I like both the bands that Batman has indicated he dislikes, and all the bands BA has labeled complete crap, perhaps this is a conversation I should stay out of, but really I enjoy the retro movement and the garage rock revival, and think it's a great part of the great music to be enjoyed right now. Jack White is the king of this movement of course, but it doesn't completely revolve around the Stripes and the Raconteurs, as awesome as they may be.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I do think it is a very good thing. I am quite frankly getting very tired of new bands and artists with pretty much no variety to their sound. The retro bands seem to avoid this problem better than most.

If variety in sound is the idea of what makes music less tiring to hear, then retro bands would rank dead first as the worst culprits. If I had my druthers, I'd play skeet shooting with some the klaxons and franz terdinand cds.

The dishes are done, man :cool: