Sky Larkin

blind-fitter

I have mentioned Sky Larkin once or twice before here. I saw them supporting all-female Canadian Joy Division impressionists The Organ at a packed club in Leeds. Not only were Sky Larkin impressive "live", I also procured their 6 track CD, which hints at greatness to come. They remain relatively little known, though they are currently receiving plentiful critical acclaim and some pretty good gigs: in Leeds (supporting the highly-touted The Gossip at legendary trendy indie venue The Faversham, tonight!!!), and some dates down in London. How long they will remain a secret is anybody's guess, as Yorkshire is the place for upcoming UK bands just now.

Anyroad; about the band and their music. They're young: 17 / 18 years old, two young ladies on bass and guitar/vocals respectively, and a lad playing drums (excellently). Their style is sort of indie-pop in a vaguely similar style to Sleater-Kinney, The Breeders, Belly, Throwing Muses, even occasional nods to PJ Harvey.

Hear more Sky Larkin on their Myspace page:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=23566324

These four songs give a fair idea of Sky Larkin's sound and style. The first two "Somersault Notes" and "Traits And Traitors" are particularly good, I reckon.

Worth checking out now, 'cos I suspect their going to be huge. (And I'm rarely wrong about these things: I said the same about Chest about 10 years ago, and look at them now...)

Just discovered that the girl bass-player recently left to concentrate on her other band,Mother Vulpine, and has been replaced by a chap called Doug. The band have recently had a featurette in the NME and played the Leeds leg of this summer's Leeds/Reading Festival to an appreciative crowd, earning rave reviews. Have also been played by Steve Lamacq on his Radio 1 evening session.

Well obviously I think they're a good band, otherwise I wouldn't be doing a "Get The Word Out" on them. I'd only recently completed the original post last night, in which I based my description of them on the set-up when I saw them "live", when I later read in one of their (glowing) reviews on the Net that they had undergone a line-up change. Thus, I provided an "update".

So, the new bassist has a dumb name. It's probably been a blight on his thus-far miserable life. But now he's joined Sky Larkin, a fine young band destined for big things, so I guess things are finally looking up for him.

• 1 month later...

Sky Larkin's debut single, "One Of Two" is released on January 22nd 2007, on the Dance to the Radio label

The single is available as a limited edition 7" in sky-blue heavyweight vinyl, and also on digital download.

The single can be pre-ordered from the DTTR store.

Check here for more info: www.dancetotheradio.com

• 10 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Just heard that Sky Larkin are currently in the States (Chicago, I believe) recording some material for top UK indie label Wichita.

They are working with producer John Goodmanson, who has worked with artists such as Death Cab For Cutie, Sleater-Kinney, Hot Hot Heat, Bikini Kill, Blondie and, er...Hanson.

Hopefully the fruits of these recording sessions will come out as an album sometime.

• 3 months later...

http://www.myspace.com/skylarkinskylarkin

to find out about SkyLarkin's autumnal European touring activities:

September: covering a lot of the continent as support to Conor Oberst

October: British dates with Hot Club De Paris

November: Back around Europe with Los Campesinos! and Lovvers

Now signed to top UK indie label Wichita Records (Bloc Party, Simian Mobile Disco, The Cribs amongst others) and with a debut album in the can, things are looking pretty good for Sky Larkin at the mo.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Sky Larkin - whose debut album "The Golden Spike" is pretty blooming good, by the way- are currently on a tour of the States. Later dates are with highly-rated nu-twee heroes Los Campesinos!. Worth checking out.

Sky Larkin US & Canada Tour Schedule

18 Mar 2009 12:00

Wichita showcase 12am - Red7 Austin, Texas, Texas

19 Mar 2009 16:30

Wichita / Mixtape Party, 7600-7699 Stillridge Drv, 4.45pm Austin, Texas, Texas

20 Mar 2009 15:00

Music for Listeners Party – 3.15pm - Red House Lounge Austin, Texas, Texas

21 Mar 2009 13:30

British Embassy Yorkshire party – 1.40pm - Latitude 30 Austin, Texas

23 Mar 2009 21:00

NYC, Mercury Lounge w/ The Grates -9pm NYC, New York

29 Mar 2009 20:00

Philadelphia, PA.Theatre of Living Arts w/ Los Campesinos! and Ponytail Philidelphia

30 Mar 2009 20:00

South Burlington, VT.Higher Ground w/ Los Campesinos! South Burlington

31 Mar 2009 20:00

Montreal.QUE La Sala Rosa w/ Los Campesinos! Montreal

1 Apr 2009 20:00

Toronto, ONT Opera House w/ Los Campesinos! Toronto

2 Apr 2009 20:00

Detroit, MI Magic Stick w/ Los Campesinos! Detroit

3 Apr 2009 20:00

Milwaukee, WI Turner Hall w/ Los Campesinos! Milwaukee

4 Apr 2009 20:00

Minneapolis, MN Fine Line Café w/ Los Campesinos! Minneapolis