The Duke Spirit

blind-fitter

If, like me, you're the sort of person whose head would be turned by the description "PJ Harvey meets Sonic Youth meets The Pixies", The Duke Spirit might be right up your alley. Truth be told they're not quite as wonderful as that "meeting of genius" description might suggest, but they're on the right track. Their debut album released last year, "Cuts Across The Land", hints at what this band could achieve.

It is on first listening that the PJ Harvey comparison leaps to the fore. This is probably down to vocalist Liela Moss, who comes across (slightly) as a well-spoken "Home Counties" chick with soulful bluesy affectations. But in actual fact, her vocals are pretty impressive throughout and she sounds convincingly "edgy" and genuinely soulful.

On further listening, I've appreciated more their musical textures: where the Sonic Youth / Pixies references come in, though these comparisons possibly don't do The Duke Spirit justice. Their influences/inspirations clearly go further than this and they don't deserve to be "pigeonholed". They aren't afraid to use slide guitars / reverb effects, seem to dig some 60s sounds/production techniques, and are apt to experiment with sound. I'd like to see them become a bit more adventurous, but that's a minor grumble.

Well worth keeping a watchful eye on.

This is probably down to vocalist Liela Moss, who comes across (slightly) as a well-spoken "Home Counties" chick with soulful bluesy affectations. But in actual fact, her vocals are pretty impressive throughout and she sounds convincingly "edgy" and genuinely soulful.

Yeah, and she's 'sex on a stick' too....which doesn't hurt.

JMHO :blush:

• 9 months later...
  • 7 months later...