Hetfield - Music is the best drug...

RonJonSurfer

Hetfield Blasts Rock 'n' Roll Drug Culture

He wants to undo the "horrible myth" that music must be accompanied by a wild lifestyle.

Metallica frontman James Hetfield launched a tearful plea for rockers to resist drugs on Friday, as he was awarded a special award for helping people in the music industry receive addiction treatment.

In a Los Angeles ceremony the singer urged an audience of stars, including Ozzy Osbourne, Motorhead frontman Lemmy and Red Hot Chili Peppers singer Anthony Kiedis, to help undo the "horrible myth" that great music must be accompanied by a wild lifestyle.

Hetfield, himself a former addict, begged for a moment of silence "for the people who didn't make it, that aren't with us, who could be and I think should be," before slamming the drug culture.

He said, "To have those things attached to music, which is the best drug in the whole world, moves me like no other. And I thank God that I discovered that gift early on."

The singer was presented with the Stevie Ray Vaughan Award for his dedication and support of the MusiCares Map Fund.

Copyright World Entertainment News Network 2006