Bono - All the news that fits the print.

RonJonSurfer

Bono Takes an Editorial Role

He's the guest editor of a British newspaper to encourage the battle against Aids.

U2 frontman and human rights activist Bono is the guest editor of the British newspaper The Independent Tuesday, in conjunction with his anti-Aids campaign Red.

The Irish mega star announced "No News Today" on the front page of the popular publication in a design by acclaimed artist Damien Hirst, adding in small print at the bottom: "Just 6,500 Africans died today as a result of a preventable, treatable disease."

The singer unleashed his talents on the publication in a bid to encourage the corporate world to join the battle against the disease in Africa.

Coverage of the continent comprised the first seven pages of the newspaper, and Bono contributed an impassioned plea for action in his editorial.

The letter, entitled "I am a witness. What can I do?" begins with an appeal to disregard preconceptions of "messianic rock stars" and concentrate instead on the issues being raised.

Bono urged, "Not for the sake of my vanity, but for the sake of people who are depending on you - the reader - to respond to the precariousness of their lives.

"(Former U.S. Secretary Of State) Colin Powell describes HIV as "the most lethal weapon of mass destruction on the planet. So forgive us if we expand our strategy to reach the high street, where so many of you live and work."

Top-selling brands including Gap, Converse, American Express and Giorgio Armani have already signed up to back the Red initiative.

Copyright World Entertainment News Network 2006