Depeche Mode in "incomprehensible gibberish lyrics" shock

blind-fitter

Transcribed from The Guardian newspaper, 4th March , 2006

Depeche Mode try a new style: en dough cheeky-a-vunch

"Deh dah do. Misbalah. Que-moh-nuzhnee? Esta booka-dee schvallow en dough cheeky-a-vunch."*

Don't quite recognise it? It's Simlish, allegedly a combination of fractured Ukrainian and Tagalog, the language of the Philippines, and it could help 80s icons Depeche Mode appeal to a new audience.

The Mode, as they are known to fans, have re-recorded one of their singles in the so-called language used by characters in the hugely popular computer game series The Sims, which allows people to build their own cities and worlds.

Although no dictionary seems available, the online encyclopaedia Wikipedia has a stab. "Moarsh doove" appears to mean "howdy, neighbour". "Kavaala! Midoo!" has been roughly translated as "Over here! I'm desperate". The phrase "Oh flark" probably needs no translation.

Depeche Mode, pioneers of synthesiser pop are now attempting to take a lead in Simlish, with a re-recording of Suffer Well from the album Playing the Angel.

"Depeche Mode has always been open to new ways of sharing our music," said lead singer David Gahan. "But re-recording a Simlish-language version of Suffer Well just sounded bizarre. Of course, that's why we couldn't resist doing it."

Steve Schnur, an executive at EA, the company behind The Sims, described Simlish as "an emotion-filled language that defies translation. It's a great fit for the music of Depeche Mode which is so focused on creating a mood and appeals to people on an emotional level."

A video of the song can be downloaded from the game's website and features a cartoon version of the band. The film's rollercoaster story, a seemingly tragic one, revolves around a robot who falls in love with a human woman who spurns his advances. The robot gets drunk, fights and then tries to burn the woman alive. It fails but it does get a painting of the woman exhibited at a fancy gallery.

Depeche Mode are following in the footsteps of fellow 80s synthesiser pop act Howard Jones who re-recorded his 1985 hit Things Can Only Get Better in Simlish. In an interview with a cartoon chimpanzee on the game's website, Jones dedicates the reworking to his 11-year-old son Jasper, a big Sims fan. "I did find it very, very challenging. It took me a long time to get my tongue around the words," he said.

*According to Wikipedia, this could mean: "Hello. I'm frustrated. Are you joking? I know exactly where that's going and I couldn't agree more". Alternatively, since it is made up, it could mean anything you want it to mean.

"Following in the footsteps of...Howard Jones", eh?

Recommendations really don't come much higher than that!!!