Springsteen Does Seeger On First Covers Album

Sweet Jane 61

Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

Almost exactly a year since the release of his last Columbia studio album, "Devils & Dust," Bruce Springsteen will return April 25 with the first covers album of his career. "We Shall Overcome -- The Seeger Sessions" features material long associated with Pete Seeger, the octogenarian folk pioneer who wrote such classics as "If I Had a Hammer" and "Turn! Turn! Turn! (To Everything There Is a Season)."

The 13-track set eschews those songs in favor of tracks like opener "Old Dan Tucker," "We Shall Overcome," "Shenandoah," "Erie Canal" and "Froggie Went A-Courtin." Two bonus tracks, "Buffalo Gals" and "How Can I Keep From Singing," will be found on the DualDisc release, as will a 30-minute behind-the-scenes documentary.

Springsteen is backed on the album by musicians including his wife, Patti Scialfa, fellow E Street Band accompanist Soozie Tyrell, trumpet player Mark Pender, trombonist Richie "La Bamba" Rosenberg, guitarist Frank Bruno and upright bassist Jeremy Chatzy. A number of these musicians will join him on the road in North America and Europe this spring, with dates to be announced.

Springsteen's stripped-down Devils & Dust tour did big business in 2005, grossing more than $33.4 million from 65 shows reported to Billboard Boxscore, 46 of them sellouts. It is unknown what type of venue the new dates will play, but Springsteen manager Jon Landau told Billboard last fall that arena theater configurations proved successful for the Devils & Dust dates.

"They have worked beautifully," he said. "The crowds have been totally responsive, the buildings have all worked extremely well to meet the special needs of a show like this, and the more modern, new arenas are a generally more comfortable place for our audience to see a show."

The title track from "Devils & Dust" recently won a Grammy for best solo rock vocal performance.

Here is the track list for "We Shall Overcome":

"Old Dan Tucker"

"Jessie James"

"Mrs. McGrath"

"Oh, Mary, Don't You Weep"

"John Henry"

"Erie Canal"

"Jacob's Ladder"

"My Oklahoma Home"

"Eyes on the Prize"

"Shenandoah"

"Pay Me My Money Down"

"We Shall Overcome"

"Froggie Went A-Courtin'"

Bonus Tracks:

"Buffalo Gals"

"How Can I Keep From Singing"

Will be in line to get this album for sure.

That's horrible! I mean, it IS Bruce Springsteen, and even if yu don't like the music on the album, you have to like how ambitious the concept of this album is. I know it's a covers album, but Bruce Springsteen isn't one to phone things in, and it's a bit of a departure for him, I think.

I heard on the radio this morning that Bruce had a listening party yesterday for only the highest level industry execs, movers and shakers. Well, Bruces manager (I forgot his name) accidently kicked the sound sytem cables and knocked out the sound. He tried, in vain, the make the connection again, but couldn't. Then the president of Sony Records came over to assist him. They were finally able to get sound, but only in "mono". Bruce quipeed afterword that "You guys only got to hear half the songs."

I also read a local interview with 86 year old Pete Seeger. He was thrilled that Bruce was making this album and very happy to know that Bruce recorded it with friends in his living room. Seeger felt that these songs were meant to be done that way. Seeger also gave Bruce a few more songs that he hoped he might cover.

Bruce Springsteen and his new Seeger Sessions Band, Herbie Hancock, Etta James and Warren Haynes have been added to the lineup for the 2006 New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival, which will be held April 28-30 and May 5-7 at the Fair Grounds Race Course.

As previously reported, Springsteen will on April 25 release an album featuring songs long associated with folk icon Pete Seeger. It is not known if the Jazz Fest appearance will be the new band's first, but at deadline it is the first to be confirmed as part of a spring tour.

Bob Dylan, Paul Simon, Dave Matthews Band, Jimmy Buffet, Allen Toussaint with Elvis Costello, Lionel Richie, Keith Urban, Ani DiFranco, the Meters and Fats Domino are among the other superstars on the bill for Jazz Fest, which is moving forward despite New Orleans' ravaging at the hands of Hurricane Katrina.