The Kills

SoulGirl

okay it's taken me ages to get around to it but i have to post about this band - they are amazing!! my older brother randomly found their first album 'keep on your mean side' about a year ago and two of my brothers and i fell in love with it. it's sort of hard rock with a punky edge. think along the lines of the yeah yeah yeahs and pj harvey. they rock, hard!! the band consists of a guy and a girl, who don't seem to have names! they go by VV and Hotel it seems, although i'm not sure which is which! reading up on them online, i have discovered that her name is alison mosshart, known as VV and his name is jamie hince, known as hotel. she comes from florida originally but has been located on london, where she met him, for five years.

i had heard that the kills were playing in this cool little venue in munich called atomic cafe on the sunday night of my younger brother's visit but had tried and failed a few times to get tickets. so we decided to go down and chance it on the night. we arrived in the middle of a raging thunder and lightning storm, me hobbling on crutches with my brother's size nine sandals on cos no other shoe fits over my bandage (i'm normally a size three!)!! and we got in!!!!!! and the gig was AMAZING!!!!! the band are completely wild and crazy onstage. there's just the two of them with drums and bass on backing track but the sound was full and amazing - we saw ten people wearing ear plugs!! we were two of the few people who knew lyrics (although i don't know many, just enough to give me some cred)! unfortunately i had to sit at the bar for the whole thing but the place was so small i could still see pretty much everything. they have the most amazing chemistry on stage. she's soooo hot and goes insane, throwing the mike stand around, belting out the lyrics, stalking around the stage like a caged animal!!! my brother went down to the front for the encore and had intense eye contact with her for two verses of a song!

so when the gig was over they went off backstage... but then they came out for the club!!! as the girl was walking past i just tapped her on the arm and we told her that we loved the band and how we'd emailed oxegen last year begging for them on the bill. they are both sooooo shy! she was just really smily and shy and seemed surprised and humbled at what we were saying - crazy! actually we were speaking to their sound engineer later and he said that they are both incredibly shy in person so that's why they are so wild onstage - it's their outlet! my brother bought a tshirt and i bought the new album 'no wow', which is ust as good if not better than the first! later on they were sitting at the table next to us with their sound engineer charlie. i went up to ask them to sign it. they invited me to sit down at the table with them (since i could barely stand on my one operational foot!) and we were chatting for a good fifteen minutes! she asked how i'd hurt my foot so i told her the story and she was totally shocked and told me to find the guy and kick his ass - she wrote this in my inlet card too! the guy asked her what i'd said and she repeated the whole story word for word to him - how cool!!!!! never been so star struck in all my life! they were also really interested in hearing about my older brother, who's in south america at the moment - i felt i had to tell them about him since he had discovered the band for us and would be raging when he heard we'd met them!! they were so surprisingly sound, considering their lyrics are so strong and vitriolic! charlie, the sound engineer, is putting my brother plus one on the guest list in dublin on 6th june!!!

• 5 months later...

I borrowed the "No WoW" album from our local music library. You're absolutely right about them: Its brilliant. I haven't heard their first album yet, but I've been told its even better, and I'm breathlessly anticipating getting my copy of it real soon. I'm also looking forward to seeing them Live (if they come round my way), if your account is anything to go by. Your comparisons with Yeah Yeah Yeahs and PJ Harvey are reasonable enough (I'm a big Polly-Jean fan myself), though I'd have to say the Kills No WoW album is far more exciting than the YYYs effort (which is pretty good, but no great shakes)

• 1 year later...

I still haven't had the chance to see The Kills "live", but I did get round to procuring their splendid first album "Keep On Your Mean Side".

Edgy and uncompromising, The Kills music is basically rock'n'roll, but played in a new and exciting way....

Definitely well worth checking out. :beatnik: