Electro-Pop : Your favourites?

Foxy

I'm not a huge electro-pop fan, but the last few days I've had a yearning to listen to it ::

So here are my favourites in no particular order:

OMD (I love "Enola Gay")

Depeche Mode

Soft Cell

Gary Numan

Kraftwerk

New Order

Duran Duran

Pet Shop Boys

Ultravox

Thompson Twins

I bet you're thinking of New Wave, New Romantic, and the all-encompassing Synthpop. Electro-Pop sounds like the new stuff from The Faint, Ladytron, Freezepop, De/Vision, VNV Nation, Neuropa, Neuroticfish, Droom, and such. The bands you mentioned are more in tune with music from Joy Division, Japan, The Human League, Heaven 17, Giorgio Moroder, Camouflage, Section 25, NewOrder, Crispy Ambulance, Dif Juz, and maybe a little Cabaret Voltaire :headphones:

Angry drum machines: ATTACK! :rockon: :drummer:

i wouldnt put VNV nation in the same league as ladytron, they are completely different! VNV nation is more like industrial, ive only heard them in goth clubs

also, ive heard people call depeche mode new dark wave, would you call the bands that you mentioned that? and are cabaret voltaire any good? ive heard of them before

January 14th Q magazine "Depeche Mode & The Story of Electro-Pop"

They say themselves they are Electro-Pop.

There are sooo many different genre names, call it what you like synthcore, electroclash, synthpop or as I do...electro-pop.

"Electropop is a genre of synthesizer pop music which flourished during the early 1980s, although the first recordings were made in the late 1970s. Numerous bands have carried on the electropop tradition into the 1990s and 2000s. Electropop is often characterised by a cold, robotic, electronic sound, which is largely due to the limitations of the analog synthesizers used to make the music.

Electropop songs are pop songs at heart, with simple, catchy hooks and dance beats. But it differs from the later genres of electronic music it helped to inspire — techno, dub, house, Electroclash, etc. — in that strong songwriting is emphasized over simple danceability. Electropop is closely intertwined with the New Romantic movement of the early 80s, and the Synthpop and Electroclash movements of the 1990s and beyond."

There are sooo many different genre names, call it what you like synthcore, electroclash, synthpop or as I do...electro-pop.

"Electropop is a genre of synthesizer pop music which flourished during the early 1980s, although the first recordings were made in the late 1970s. Numerous bands have carried on the electropop tradition into the 1990s and 2000s. Electropop is often characterised by a cold, robotic, electronic sound, which is largely due to the limitations of the analog synthesizers used to make the music.

Electropop songs are pop songs at heart, with simple, catchy hooks and dance beats. But it differs from the later genres of electronic music it helped to inspire — techno, dub, house, Electroclash, etc. — in that strong songwriting is emphasized over simple danceability. Electropop is closely intertwined with the New Romantic movement of the early 80s, and the Synthpop and Electroclash movements of the 1990s and beyond."

Screw this! I posted a reply about VNV Nation, but it got deleted! Wtf is up wi dat :afro:

Anyway, I also read an interview where Martin L. Gore called Depeche Mode's music as mainstream Pop :beatnik: So, in the end you just have to roll your eyes and roll with the punches. I listed VNV Nation and Ladytron just to plug two of my favourite bands that employ synths (not because they are in the same genre of music). Sorry for the confusion.

Argh! why all this slowness??

anyway, i am a bit useless at classifying music that specifically, i just said depeche mode was new dark wave cos ive heard it being called that, like in events in clubs and stuff.

xxx, you never replied, what are cabaret voltaire like?

also, can you recommend bands that are like ladytron? the only one ive discovered is adult, but i wasnt that impressed with their stuff.

Je----sssssuuussss....server playing up bad today for me

Just TODAY?Just for YOU? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

OMG... anyway, now that it is working let s post this: yes, depeche-Mode is the electro-pop icon for me. Kraftwerk were the first ones, Spooky Two also did... Devo...

Argh! why all this slowness??

anyway, i am a bit useless at classifying music that specifically, i just said depeche mode was new dark wave cos ive heard it being called that, like in events in clubs and stuff.

xxx, you never replied, what are cabaret voltaire like?

also, can you recommend bands that are like ladytron? the only one ive discovered is adult, but i wasnt that impressed with their stuff.

I did reply, but this board went to crap and deleted my post. Cabaret Voltaire are crazy, wacky tapeloops and synths. Your best bet is to try their music from 1983 on up first because that is Cabaret Voltaire at the most well-behaved. The Crackdown and Mix-Up are fantastic albums, but don't think they always sounded like this. Try Voice Of America or Red Mecca later on and hear for yourself how even more warped their sounds were. To call them Industrial would be too limiting and to call them SynthPop would be terrible. I made up my own term to define their music: Futurist! Like Italian Futurism. The Futurist manifesto described music that Cabaret Voltaire made. A good sampling of their 80s sound is The Original Sounds Of Sheffield '82-'87.

If you're looking for bands that sound like Ladytron, try The Faint's Blank Wave Arcade. The old band, Section 25, might also be of interest to you since they had a female vocalist and were heavy on the synths to the point where Bernard Albrecht (of NewOrder) worked with them on a couple of songs.

Landscape also did that kind of music... They had a hit, "Einstein a go-go", maybe XXX and Diggs will remember it... I also liked Erasure and their first album, they had something to do with Yazoo or Depeche Mode... maybe Vince Clarke was part of it with that Bronsky Beat singer whose name I don´t remember????? Oh, forgive me, JuanJuanJuan, I´m like a old fashioned computer full of very interesting information! :googly: :googly:

Landscape also did that kind of music... They had a hit, "Einstein a go-go", maybe XXX and Diggs will remember it... I also liked Erasure and their first album, they had something to do with Yazoo or Depeche Mode... maybe Vince Clarke was part of it with that Bronsky Beat singer whose name I don´t remember????? Oh, forgive me, JuanJuanJuan, I´m like a old fashioned computer full of very interesting information! :googly: :googly:

Bronsky Beat singer was Jimmy Summerville.

Vince Clarke went from Depeche Mode to Yazoo to Robert Marlowe to forming The Assembly and also working with Martin Ware of Heaven 17. Erasure is his biggest project outside of Depeche Mode followed by Yazoo. Notice also, how most of the singers also have similar vocals ::

Poor old Andy Bell has anounced he is HIV positive.

A big 'up' to Soft Cell here. Despite Mr Almond's perculiar taste in drinks, they produced some of the most memorable music of the 80s IMO. 'Torch' being one of my alltime favorite songs.

Amention for Heaven17 on this thread too, which is nice. They also had one of my alltime favorite songs, in 'Temptation'.

Yes Edna, I remember Buggles. Weren't they produced by Trevor Horn?

Regards