Kevin Spacey versus Bobby Darin

Steel2Velvet

I saw a a couple video clips of Kevin Spacey's upcoming movie about the life of Bobby Darin. I am a huge Bobby Darin fan (his voice, not his eccentric personality) and I found it odd that Kevin Spacey is doing his own vocals for this movie. Granted, Mr. Spacey has a better than average voice, but a Bobby Darin he ain't.

The producers of the movie "Ray" felt it needed the man's own voice to be authentic; and from the clips I have seen, Jamie Fox does an excellent lip syncing job. Does Bobby Darin's sound deserve less than his own initmitable stylings?

I feel the producers of the biography of Darin have errored in trying to accomodate Kevin Spacey's ego. Those new to Darin's sound may think, "What's the big deal?" Listening to the real Bobby Darin IS a big deal!

They show repeats of the British tv show 'Stars In Their Eyes' on pay tv here in Australia (where contestants impersonate famous musicians) and this one guy was impersonating Bobby Darin. He sung 'The Night Has A Thousand Eyes' and he was really really good. Since then I have liked the real Bobby Darin and agree with what you say about his voice. I haven't seen any clips of this movie, but I will be sure to look out for it!

Hi Katie and Paul. I didn't even know that Kevin Spacey sang. Bobby Darin is a BIG favourite of mine. He put his stamp on so many tried and true songs, eg, "Clementine",

"Beyond The Sea" and of course "Mack The Knife". The only version of "The Night Has A Thousand Eyes" I know is Bobby Vee's.

I can't wait to see the Ray Charles' movie which has just started here. Let's see...the last movie we saw was "School Of Rock". It would HAVE to be better than that. :D