Dutch Design

paukl

being raised in Amsterdam as an dutch-american I always have been curious of how much Dutch music has reached the American ear. I mean, driving from Flint mi. to Toronto one day and hearing Radar Love by the Golden Earring on the radio, really gives you goosebumbs. So here we are: golden earrings, George Baker (as known from Reservoir Dogs). Any more?? Make me proud!

"There are only 2 things I hate - People who are intollerant of other cultures, and The Dutch."

- Austin Powers' dad in "Goldmember"

Sadly, I don't think we Americans have been exposed to much Dutch music (Does Jools Holland count? How about Pass The Dutchie by Musical Youth?). Part of the problem could be explained by what a friend of mine told me after spending a week in Amsterdam. I asked him if he had a good time and he said, "I'm pretty sure I did, but I don't remember."

The Shocking Blue, who had the hit "Venus" were Dutch.

• 1 year later...

I've heard quite a bit of Dutch music in South Africa as well as in the UK.

Bands that I can think of right now are Twarres, The Outsiders, Golden Earring, Doe Maar, Anouk, Armin Van Buuren.

I know there are a lot of brilliant dance dj's operating in and from Holland!

And then the not so great or memorable Alice DJ, 2 Unlimited, Vengaboys, 2 brothers on the 4th floor and 24/7...