Obladi, Oblada

000levy

from htpp://iamthebeatles.com

"A song by Paul, it came from the phrase, Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da, that means "life goes on," that Paul heard by a man named Jimmy Anonmuogharan Scott Emuakpor, a Nigerian congo player who played in a group known as Bad Manners. Paul met him in the Bag o' Nails club in Solo, London. When Paul wrote the song, Jimmy Scott was annoyed, citing that he should receive some of the financial rewards for it. McCartney responded by telling him that if he had written any part of it, he would be glad to pay him, but he didn't. Scott sued, and meanwhile, was jailed for refusing to pay support to his ex-wife. Jimmy appealed to Paul to pay his rather large past support payment, which Paul did to help him out, but on the condition that Jimmy drop his case against him over the song. Jimmy did and he and Paul came to be and remained close friends over the years until Scott's death in 1986.

Paul loved this song and made many takes of it, driving the remaining three Beatles' crazy. McCartney wanted it released also as a single, but Lennon hated it and refused to let that happen. Consequently, a Scottish group known as Marmalade recorded it and had a number one hit. There is a mistake in the song where McCartney sang that "Desmond stayed at home and did his pretty face," when it should have been as the other similar line, referring to Molly. The three other Beatles liked the error, and it remained."

Oh, Mccartney´s relation with money...tss, tss, tss...

Did he credit "Those where the days" to a Russian popular song? (not the lyrics, only the music). He was my favourite Beatle when I was seven or eight...then I prefered John. I hated Paul (more than Yoko) for breaking MY Beatles (I was a teenager, that´s worse than a parent´s divorce!!!!!) and again when he tried to change the Lennon-McCartney for...McCartney-Lennon!!!!!!!!!!! That´s changing history!!!! It´s not allowed!

Well, anyway, though I think all his Wing music is crap, he´s still a Beatle and a genius.

Really...? Maybe I should try and do the same. You know, what I don´t understand is how such a genius who was half a Beatle and make the best music could change that much and make the worse music. It´s the huge difference what amazes me. I must say though that I like some songs on the two first McCartney solo albums.

I still don't understand why they list it as being done in 1952 & written by John Lennon. Apparently it was on an album called Hit Parade.

Probably a mistake. It´s not strange, I´ve just bought me a compilation of oldies and they put a song from 1972...the oldies were from the 1969 hit-parade. Anyways, I doubt John Lennon could write Obladi etc in 1952, he was 12, and it´s not his style. But it wouldn´t surprise me if it was an old folk song from Nigeria...my auntie told me, in 1969, that she knew that song, she used to dance it when she was young!!! Paul McCartney could have taken the song and rearrange it... Yet my guess is a mistake from all.music.

You´re welcome, MC. have you noticed we can even learn things like Nigerian, for instance? This site is great!

Yes that is interesting, I was reading the songfact for this song & it stated that it was written as a Reggae song by Paul McCartney & the rest of the band became fed up with overdubbing it, John even hated the song along with many of the others that Paul wrote.