Letting the Trend Chase You

Carl

Most successful musicians adapt their sound to fit whatever is in style at the moment, giving it their distinctive spin. In some cases, they are accused of selling out, but in any other industry, that would be called good business.

On the other hand, there are some musicians who steadfastly stick to a certain style, and wait for the trend to hit them. In many cases, these artists will spend years in obscurity and then rocket to popularity when their particular sound becomes the chosen flavor. For instance, The Cherry Poppin' Daddies were doing their swing for years before that sound caught on, and Dido was in the right place when Lilith Fair music had its run. This resolve comes at a price, as when the winds shift, if the artist still refuses to adapt, they go back to obscuresville but with a hit song and impressive record contract to put on the CV.

Are there other examples of musicians finding themselves suddenly hot with what they were doing all along? There might be a life lesson in here.

There's such a blurry line between saying someone is "selling out" and just trying to move on. I guess it really depends on the person and what they do. For example, I've known a lot of people who have said lately that Carlos Santana has completely sold out being that he will whore himself out to anybody who wants to add "Feat. Carlos Santana) to their song. There's no doubt that he's a great guitarist, but many would say he's completely sold out. Whereas there are others like, say Slash, who some might say has sold out yet many others will not. Personally, I think Slash has the same persona as Snoop Dogg in that he can do literally anything and still seem cool. Snoop goes on Martha Stewart and everyone still thinks he's cool. Slash plays with the Black Eyed Peas at the Super Bowl, everyone thinks he's still cool.

I guess it really depends on one's personal opinion of any one person. I always hate to see old bands who are well past their prime still trying to release albums and such. Yet there are some who still do well, like Elvis Costello, who's been releasing albums for 30 years and still sounds great. I guess it's more the bands who won't let their old sounds go and the bands that evolve and adapt with their age.

In regards to obscure bands becoming popular, I think The Avett Brothers are slowly gaining notoriety because of this whole new love for Mumford & Sons-bluegrass-rock. The Avett Brothers have been doing their thing for almost seven or eight years now and are just now starting to gain a little popularity.

In some cases, they are accused of selling out, but in any other industry, that would be called good business.

With the difference that most people who accuse an artist of 'selling out' want them to regard music (only) as art and not (mainly) as business ;)

The Avett Brothers have been doing there thing for almost seven or eight years now and are just now starting to gain a little popularity.

Great example.

I thought of another "weird" example where the trend has come back around - yep, Mr. Yankovic. His song parodies were big in the '80s, and then 20 years or so later, they're big again because he could turn them into viral videos like this.

Most established bands have either "sold out" or will.It's just a matter of time (or starvation) I just noticed tonight that my granddaughter is watching Sponge (sp?) Bob,and Motorhead is jamming away.Who'd ever think that a band like Motorhead would ever or even allow one of there songs to be in any kind of cartoon.Except,maybe me :cool:

Are there other examples of musicians finding themselves suddenly hot with what they were doing all along? There might be a life lesson in here.

Seasick Steve.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seasick_Steve

You Can't Teach an Old Dog New Tricks was the best selling album in Amsterdam, last week.

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...