John Lennon's son forgives him for abandoning

Mike

John Lennon's son Julian says he has forgiven his late father for abandoning him as a child.

The Beatles star, who was murdered in New York City in 1980, left his first wife Cynthia Powell for Yoko Ono and had little contact with his young son after the divorce in 1968.

Julian, who's also a musician, began to mend his relationship with Lennon in the 1970s, but never fully forgave him for walking out on his family.

But he has now admitted that he has finally come to terms with the music legend's role in his life, after writing a new song about his recently deceased childhood friend Lucy Vodden - who inspired Lennon's Beatles classic Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds.

"It's come full circle for me in many respects. I had a lot of bitterness and anger. It wasn't until the writing of this song that I really forgave my father," Contactmusic quoted Julian as saying.

"I realised if I continued to feel that anger and bitterness towards my dad, I would have a cloud hanging over my head. Writing is therapy for me. It also allowed me to embrace dad and the Beatles," he added.

Copyright ©2009 Diligent Media Corporation Ltd.

A bit harsh . I'm sure Julian didn't learn piano courtesy of purely welfare or a '60's single mom's salary ... whether Lennon wanted that or not is beyond what I know .

The whole idea , after this much time , is really a headline making opportunity , though , to coincide with his album , methinks .

• 2 weeks later...

It had to be very hard for Julian to hear songs like Beautiful Boy that John wrote about the son he chose not to abandon. Yes, he got some good genetics and probably a healthy trust fund out of it, but there must have been times when Julian wondered why he was so less important than all the other things in John's life. Paul McCartney picked up on it and had the compassion to write a song about it ( Hey Jude ), which I don't think John ever did.