Key of In The Flesh

Aunt_Acid

I don't know if this is just my boom box doing this, or Pink Floyd recorded it this way, but I noticed while trying to learn In The Flesh on organ, that it is tuned not on a regular note. The chord it occured to me on was the one towards the beggining where the guitar does some blues riff thing. I would play and E minor and bend the pitch up a quarter step and it would sound correct, or an F minor and bend it down a quarter step. I'm not sure which is the correct chord, because it is halfway between E and F. If anyone understood all of that rambling, could you help me out and tell me which key it is in? Thanks.

Sounds like a pitch-flatuate in the recording (on the board by engineer). Not an uncommon technique.

I'm pretty sure (David) Gilmour tuned his (standard tuned) guitars to concert pitch (many, MANY guitarists tune 1/2 step down eg. EVH, most if not all metal guitarists, etc.). In other words, he's playing in E but the final product was varispeeded (as to what you're implying). Does that make sense?

A lot of it is intentional and some to cover for other instruments (ie. brass instruments, vocals, etc.).

A good example for intentional is The Beatles' "When I'm Sixty-Four."

Hope that helps!

Ant