Green Door and a bubble gum band?

Sheila Johnson

The bubble gum music forum brought back memories of a nagging question. I remember driving home from a date late 68 or early 69 when the DJ played "What's Behind the Green Door". This rendition of Green Door took the Deep Purple's way of re-doing "Kentucky Woman" and just applied it to the song Green Door. After listening to the song, the DJ said "I hope that satisfies your bubble gum needs for the night"

I remember that the groups name as being associated with bubble gum music at the time.

I've had a lot of well respected music historians imply that "I may have imagined, or misunderstood what I heard".

Edited by Guest

According to wikipedia, Green Door has been covered by

Frankie Vaughan, Glen Mason, Shakin' Stevens, The Cramps, Bill Haley & His Comets, Crystal Gayle, Roland Alphonso, Wynder K. Frog, Ray Hamilton, Danny Colfax Mallon, Gene McDaniels, Country Dick Montana, Eskew Reeder, Jumpin' Gen Simmons, Skip & Flip, and Skitzo.

I haven't heard of half the bands,but maybe something rings a bell? Some of them recorded their versions much later than the 60s though...

Found a site with release dates:

The Green Door by Frankie Vaughan (1956)

The Green Door by Gene McDaniels (1960)

The Green Door by Skip & Flip (September 26, 1960)

The Green Door by Roland Alphonso's Group (1961)

The Green Door by Eskew Reeder (1962)

The Green Door by Jumpin' Gene Simmons (1964)

The Green Door by Bill Haley and His Comets (July 25, 1964)

The Green Door by Wynder K. Frog (1968)

The Green Door by Ace Cannon (1973)

The Green Door by Mayf Nutter (1973)

The Green Door by Crystal Gayle (1977)

The Green Door by Shakin' Stevens (1981)

The Green Door by The Cramps (May 1981)

The Green Door by Skitzo (September 1988)

The Green Door by Country Dick Montana (1996)

The Green Door by Eliza (May 19, 1998)

How about that Wynder K Frog version? It sounds more mod than bubblegum though... it's on youtube anyway.

Hi Sheila! Welcome to Songfacts. :)

I remember when I was about 5 (1968 or so) listening to a 45 of my mom's called "Who's Behind The Green Door." I thought I still had that 45 and went and looked just now, but I don't... anyway, I did find this on youtube, and it is the same song from my mom's 45. Is this the right one? Who's Behind The Green Door ~ Jim Lowe

If so, you can find more info on the singer at Wikipedia ~ Jim Lowe .

I also found on Wiki that they credit the Mighty Songfacts with some facts about "The Green Door." :grin: :grin: Have a look. Wiki