Wu Tang sample Beatles

Farin

[big]Wu Tang sample Beatles[/big]

[smaller](Wednesday October 03, 2007 12:23 AM) yahoo.co.uk[/smaller]

Wu Tang Clan have become the first group to get permission from The Beatles to sample one of their tracks, they have revealed.

The hip hop collective return with a new album, "8 Diagrams", later this year, the first since the death of Ol' Dirty Bastard in 2004.

As previously reported, the record features a collaboration with Dhani Harrison, the son of George, on a reworking of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps".

However, a new message posted on Wu Tang's official website suggests the new version will actually feature an authentic, cleared extract of The Fab Four's original.

It reads: "Special thanks to Danny (sic) Harrison & Erykah Badu for helping bring this song to life! Also thanks to The Harrison Estate & The Beatles for helping make this possible!!"

Wu Tang have also confirmed that "8 Diagrams" has been pushed back to December 4.

October 4, 2007, FMQB.com

After Wu-Tang Clan claimed on their MySpace page that they had "cleared the first-ever Beatles sample" for a song on their upcoming album, The 8 Diagrams, it turns out that is not entirely true.

The song does technically feature a "sample" of George Harrison's "While My Guitar Gently Weeps," but it's a composition sample and not a master sample. That means the Wu is not using the song in its original form, but it has been interpolated (changed by adding some new material) with new lyrics from Ghostface and Raekwon, and Harrison's son, Dhani, plays guitar on the song. "In this case, the Beatles' master sample is not being used and has not been approved by Apple Records," said Randall Wixen, the founder of Wixen Music Publishing, according to MTV News. "The composition of 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps' has been interpolated into the Wu-Tang song. The elements have been replayed by Dhani Harrison."