Quiz June 2007

Joseph from Morgantown, WV is this month's quiz winner and will receive a cool and comfortable

Songfacts t-shirt. :coolio:

Here are the answers to the quiz:

1. What Disco hit from the '80s was sampled into a rap hit in the '90s?

"I'm Coming Out" by Diana Ross was sampled by Puff Daddy on "Mo Money Mo Problems" in 1997.

2. What hit song has the word "Pleiades" in the lyrics?

"Can't Stop" by Red Hot Chili Peppers

It was #1 on the U.S. Billboard's Modern Rock Hits chart and #57 on the U.S. Billboard's Hot 100 chart.

3. Who was the last singer with a #1 hit to pose naked for Playboy?

Debbie Gibson posed nude in 2005.

4. What member of a Rock band is currently a cast member in a hit TV drama?

Steven Van Zant from the E Street Band is on The Sopranos. (the show was active when this quiz was started but has since ended it's television run)

Ice-T as a member of Body Count and his role as Detective Fin Tutuola on Law & Order:SVU

5. What famous band named their first album after the house where they recorded it (the color of the house is in the title)?

The Band - Music From Big Pink

6. What famous album from the '70s has the name of an Arachnid and a planet in the title?

The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars by David Bowie.

7. What hit from the '80s mentions a Russian author who wrote a book about a man obsessed with a young girl?

"Don't Stand So Close To Me" by The Police.

It mentions the author Nabokov.

8. The son of what music legend (who was not a Beatle) recorded a Top-10 hit in the '80s?

Johnny Burnette (Performer) His son Rocky Burnette with "Tired Of Toein' The Line" in 1980.

Berry Gordy Jr. (Non-Performer) His son "Rockwell" (Kennedy Gordy) with "Somebody's Watching Me" in 1984.

9. What U.K. #1 hit released in the '00s is named after a glamorous actress from the '50s?

"Grace Kelly" by Mika

10. What group's 2007 album is named after a spiritual community in Florida where the lead singer spent some time?

Bright Eyes - Cassadaga

Congratulations to Joseph and thanks to everyone who entered this month's quiz. :thumbsup:

Visit our main page to take the newest quiz.

Songfacts :headphones:

This was the first time I've done the quiz, I thought I had all 10. :ooo:

I'm guessing "Super Freak", my answer, is not considered a disco hit. I'm not too good with genres, so what genre is "Super Freak" considered?

Love the quiz though!

Hi Stephen,

The song "Super Freak" was released in the 80s and sampled into a rap hit in the 90s, but it is not considered disco.

It fits into the Funk or Funk-Rock category.

Where is Adelaide?

You didn't state that on your entry.

Brad

I love this quiz and play pretty much every month, but sometimes it's frustrating with all the vague questions and subjective answers.

This has happened several times in the past as well, where seemingly correct answers aren't correct enough because they weren't the one they had in mind. This quiz would be more enjoyable if the questions didn't have so many elements that are open to interpretation.

Thanks for doing this though. Again, I enjoy it.

Thanks for the comments guys. Some of the questions are going to be a bit subjective, and you can blame Google for that. There was a time when we could post questions like "Who is Natalie McIntyre?" but the answer is just a few keystrokes away these days.

In the interest of writing questions that can't be easily looked up, we have some that could have more than one right answer. I personally like questions like "Name a father and daughter who both had hits as solo artists?" We'll sometimes write these knowing you guys are likely to come up with other valid answers, and we have to do the best we can judging them fairly.

:)