Play That Funky Music

Gillian

I know that 'Play That Funky Music (White Boy)' was written by and a hit for Wild Cherry. But I frequently see it attributed to K.C. and the Sunshine Band. Did K.C. ever record this song? Or do most folks just think it was K.C. because he is the default Caucasian funk musician?

:: :: :):(:o;):P ::

Im pretty certain KC & The Sunshine Band never did a version of it, and the confusion comes simply from the fact that the song sounds a lot like KC's style. Wild Cherry were one hit wonders and were never heard from again.

Mind you, there is a cover version by Vanilla Ice, which has to be one of the worst things ever recorded since time began!

Rob Parissi, the lead singer for Wild Cherry formed the group around 1970. Shortly after forming the group, as the story goes, he was in the hospital for a few days when his band mates visited him. While deciding on a name for the band Parissi looked at his box of cough drops and saw the flavor's name and as they say the rest is history.

Wild Cherry looked for a sound between R&B and Rock. They played alot of rock clubs and were pretty popular during the mid-seventies. Keep in mind at that time it was the dawning of the Disco revolution. As the rock clubs faded away and discos started springing up they had no choice but to play the discos. The band would hear people yell out to them "Play That Funky Music" and from that the song was born. Check out this link for the complete story behind the song Wild Cherry - Play That Funky Music

Mind you, there is a cover version by Vanilla Ice, which has to be one of the worst things ever recorded since time began!

Hey Denmark....I think anything Vanilla Ice did were some of the worst things I ever heard. Only thought I ever had of him was I wished he would melt away!