I'm With The Band (Reissued)

RonJonSurfer

Pamela Des Barres

I'm With The Band: Confessions Of A Groupie

Chicago Press Review

Long before Penny Lane; long before the Banger Sisters; and long before she became CREEM's very own Miss Eleganza, Pamela Des Barres was Miss Pamela of Frank Zappa's GTOs: a lovely comely young lass about town and a backstage fixture all the way from Memphis to Max's. Arm candy? Hell, son, she was the whole candy store for an entire galaxy of sweet-toothed stars from Keith Moon to Jimmy Page and all points in between—if you catch my drift.

Well, the good news is that Pamela's classic tell all tome has just been reissued with a fetching new hubba hubba nude cover photo on it as well as a fresh forward by Dave Navarro—who only wishes he'd been around back then to partake of the party snacks. Even better, it's out just in time to renew interest and translate this tale of the tail to the silver screen.

Whether it was once, twice or three times, Miss Pamela was always a Lady—unlike such current classless tramps like the Widder Cobain. Only in America could such a success story be written! So the next time you, uh, come across I'm With The Band loitering with intent in your neighborhood bookshop, dig deep and, uh, lay your money down for a classic dishin' the dirt, throw-down go-round with the savaged Ms. Silverhead—a genuine heart of gold heavyweight specializing in blows below the belt who always went down without a fight.

—Don Schwing

October 2005