Beatles- In my Life

edna

Unknown girl, Cynthia, Nigel Wally, Aunt Mimi, John and Pete Shotton (right).

nigelwallypeteshotton2fr.jpg

One of the most beautiful Beatles songs (John called it "a little piece of art work"). John began to write it in the beginning of 1964, after a friend suggested he should write an autobiographic song; he first listed the places on the way from his house in Melrose Avenue, Liverpool, to the docks. The music was inspired by The Temptations´"You really got a hold on me". He forgot about the song for a while and he wrote it again one year later; John changed the lyrics, talking about people from his childhood and younger years.

"Some are dead and some are living" is a reference to Stuart Sutcliffe, the Beatle who stayed and died in Hamburg, and Pete Shotton, John´s best friend. He also thought of his Aunt Mimi and his by-then wife Cynthia, as well as other friends such as Ivan Vaughn or Nigel Wally, who was first Beatle´s manager. The song was recorded in October 1965 and released in Rubber Soul.

Paul recalls John Lennon playing the tune on a mellotron; George Martin played the piano in the recording session, dubbing the speed and playing it back to make it sound special.

Lovely song. It's one that's on the disc to be played at my funeral.

BTW, "You really got a hold on me" was The Miracles, not the Temps.

Yes, you´re right... whenever I say The Miracles, be sure it´s the Temptations, and viceversa... Sorry for the mess! :angel: