Hey Joe

Batman

Hendrix didn't write the song, but he did do what is most likely the version people think of first.. Myself, I really enjoy Robert Plant's version as well off his last album.. Anyway, thought this might be interesting, it's from this site.

There are good reasons to study the song "Hey Joe". As Lester Bangs said, for a few years in the 1960's everybody and his ...brother not only recorded but claimed to have written" "Hey Joe". Between 1966 and 1969 countless rockbands included the song in their repertoire because of it's catchy, continuous cord progression, not to mention the machismo of its text. Dave Marsh suggests another reason to study "Hey Joe": the song "probably fit the academic definition of the folk process better than any rock and roll song." Anyone who wants to see how a song can come to belong to everyone - and no one - as it travels from artist to artist.

To post - World War II Americans the name "Joe"seemed to represent everyman. A typical male was an "average Joe"; a decent fellow was "a good Joe".

"Hey Joe"is a crime ballad with a question and answer format. It depicts a series of encouters between the singer and Joe: each verse consisted of a single couplet, like:

Hey Joe, where you going with that money in your hand?

Chasin' my woman, she run off with another man.

The harmonic accompaniment to these words consists of the same four-measure major-chord progression under each line F-C-G-D-A.