Kylie Minogue Diagnosed With Breast Cancer

katie_sane

Kylie diagnosed with breast cancer

17:30 AEST Tue May 17 2005

AAP

Kylie Minogue has been diagnosed with breast cancer and has cancelled her upcoming Australian tour, the Frontier Touring company said on Tuesday.

The Frontier Touring Company, promoters of Minogue's Australian tour, confirmed the sell-out Showgirl series of concerts had been postponed due to health reasons.

A statement from Minogue's management said the 36-year-old's diagnosis was confirmed this week during a visit to Melbourne.

"Whilst at home in Melbourne with her family this week prior to her Australian Showgirl Tour, Kylie was diagnosed with early breast cancer," the statement said.

"She will undergo immediate treatment and consequently her Australian tour will not be able to proceed as planned.

"Kylie said: `I was so looking forward to bringing the Showgirl tour to Australian audiences, and am sorry to have to disappoint my fans. Nevertheless, hopefully all will work out fine and I'll be back with you all again soon'."

The Showgirl Tour was to have included performances in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Adelaide and Perth over the next month.

Minogue's promoter Michael Gudinski said the news was a great shock. "I'm hoping and praying because the doctor found it so early that everything will be OK," he told the Seven Network.

Mr Gudinski said Kylie's concert and touring plans were irrelevant now. "Let's just give her time to go through what she's going through and we'll worry about all that in the future. "Our thoughts, and I'm sure all the legions of Kylie's fans, will be with her all the way."

Mr Gudinski said Minogue was having a few days off before flying to Sydney on Tuesday to start rehearsals when told she had breast cancer. "It's never a good time for a thing like this to happen, but to be in Melbourne, her home town, and her family around her...," he told the Nine Network.

"The one thing I know about Kylie is, she's a fighter, and we're all thinking very very positively and can't wait for the day she is smiling and back in action.

"But she's got a few tough weeks ahead of her."

Mr Gudinski said Minogue's experience was a lesson to all women to keep checking themselves for breast cancer. "Thank god she has been, you have to find these things early and hopefully we'll be doing many, many shows to come.

"But at the moment it's time for her to be at home with her family and I think you'll find she'll be in hospital in the next couple of days."

Ninemsn.com.au

Any news of cancer for anyone is terrible, and devastating, but people forget that thousands of women get diagnosed with breast cancer every week (if not daily), and don't have the financial or emotional support to get the best treatment. At least they've found this early enough to have hopefully prevent it spreading, and she can afford the best possible health care, so fingers crossed, eh?