A Great Movie About One-Hit Musicians

Steel2Velvet

One of my favorite movies is titled "That Thing You Do." It is probably the least known Tom Hanks vehicle, but it is so accurate in tracing the life of a one-hit band that it merits a mention on this site.

I believe it is the first movie in which Liv Tyler had a starring role. She carries one of my "most memorable movie scenes" when she (as girlfriend of the leader of a rock band) hears the band's record being played by the local radio station for the first time and runs down the street with her transistor radio to where her boyfriend is at, in order to tell him it is playing at that moment. Her enthusiasm and vitality is one of the best dead-on acting scenes I have seen.

The movie is whimsical, funny, sad and musically accurate to the point that it is a composite of every one-hit group that ever was.

If you have not seen it, do yourself a favor and rent it. If you've seen it, but not lately ... it's worth seeing again.

Some random comments about this movie:

1) I always get it confused with Empire Records.

2) The song "That Thing You Do" is great. It sounds like a Beatles song. It should have been a hit in real life.

3) Some of Tom Hanks' best work. I love it when he names "Shades."

2) The song "That Thing You Do" is great. It sounds like a Beatles song. It should have been a hit in real life.

I like this movie a lot too. Interesting tidbit ... the title song was written by the songwriters from Fountains of Wayne (or at least one of them). Explains a lot ... FOW is very clearly inspired by the Beatles. Like all good bands are :)