Anyone out there know about vinyl?

Shawna

in cleaning out the house of someone who recently passed away, we have found a cache of vinyl LPs. Among those LPs are original release copies of a bunch of Johnny Cash's albums. We're talking waaaay vintage here, the first few records he made.

The covers are in good shape (some are still in the plastic wrap!), and the records themselves are in excellent condition.

Anyone have a clue if they have any sort of value as collectors items?

Yeah...anything from Johnny Cash would be considered a collector's item...And if as you say some old records...very valuable...I'd put them away (save them) Wow...or sell them to me...Nah... You might have yourself a good little item...or lots of them...And although I'm not a big fan of country music..."Johnny Cash" has to be one of the best...

Buy, beg, borrow or steal a copy of the Goldmine Record Album Price Guide. The most recent edition is available in hardcover, paperback ([smaller]ISBN: 14402037330[/smaller]) or DVD-ROM versions.

Or Google the specific album titles, and the search should turn up vendors selling the same or similar on eBay or elsewhere online, to give you an idea of the market.

thanks for the info, guys!! I used some of the links to just skim the surface, but I neglected last night to make a list of the names of the albums. It appears that a couple of various JC albums are worth over $50, which is a start.

This is quite a large collection of LPs, mostly the oldtime country/western artists, and mostly first release editions, so there may be more than Johnny that are a little more valuable. Those links you guys provided will get plenty of use in the coming weeks! :grin:

Thanks!!!!:) :)

Bazooka is spot on about Goldmine Magazine.

Goldmine is a great magazine of reference for record collectors.

They have been around since 1974.

They have price guide books for music related items, antiques and collectibles, etc., etc.

Here's the link to their web site:

GoldmineMag.com

If you click on the "shop" link in the upper right corner of their main page and then the "records and vinyl" link on the left side of that page, you'll find various books.

One of them is a Price Guide To 45 RPM Records and another is a Record Album Price Guide.

They are a well-known publication in the U.S.

Their record grading scale is widely known and used.

Here is a link to some video clips showing how to grade your records according to the Goldmine scale.

Grading Scale For Record Collectors Video Clips

There are 16 clips in all and they thoroughly explain what to look for on the cover and record to grade their condition and they also give you audio to listen to so you can hear what the sound grades are.

The first video clip comes up automatically after a brief commercial and video clips #2-16 are located just below the first video screen.

My '69 Cutlass Supreme had a black vinyl top. The first girl I laid with had a vinyl sofa (even though she said it was leather) I've installed vinyl siding on numerous households.

But, there is only one word that truly means vinyl and that is a Long Playing record!

I still have the wheat-back penny taped on my direct-drive Technics SL-1100A.

Nothing beats the raw, scratchy sound! Especially pushed by QUAD l-100 JBLs with a Pioneer SX1010!

Music...the time when heart and soul are one!